Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 24006 times)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #1200 on: July 18, 2017, 08:39:18 AM »
It is long past time for these people to accept that we're leaving the EU and get behind their country.
Agree - as someone who voted remain I accepted the vote a year ago and wish Politicians would too, and focus their energies on the job in hand

It is they who will be to blame if we fail to arrive at a less-than-optimal outcome.   
This is the bit I don't get - not sure there is an optimal outcome as everyone seems to have their own take on what this might be - don't leave, soft Brexit, hard Brexit, leave with no deal, negotiate free movement of Brits anywhere in Europe but not the other way around, free movement for all Europeans, free trade with Europe, re-negotiate trade deals with Europe, rip up the tariffs, keep the tariffs, agree to all things EU but have no influence over future decisions.......As a point of discussions I would be interested to hear a Leavers view of an Optimal Outcome. It does seem that even those who voted leave have different visions on what this actually looks like.......hence an optimal outcome is impossible..... :-\  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:42:06 AM by The Letter R »

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #1201 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
So the people who wanted nothing to do with leaving will be to blame if it doesn't go to plan. 

No, just that subset of them who insisted on interfering after the matter was decided.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1202 on: July 28, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
I think we will be joining the EEA for an interim period. The negotiators will get round to January 2019 and find that there is far too much to do in too little time. We might even stay in the EEA.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #1203 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
I think we will be joining the EEA for an interim period. The negotiators will get round to January 2019 and find that there is far too much to do in too little time. We might even stay in the EEA.
If the EU negotiators continue to make their ridiculous demands, we may well walk away with no agreement.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1204 on: July 28, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
While sunning myself in the EU I came across some interesting talk from the Maltese PM, let's hope he is correct. Although the holiday has been excellent the exchange rate,due to Brexit, has cost us dearly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/28/britain-should-fight-for-second-brexit-referendum-malta-pm
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1205 on: July 28, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »
the talk is now of a temporary move to a EEA type agreement.
Anyone familiar with the phrase "nothing so permenant as temporary "
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1206 on: July 28, 2017, 14:33:22 PM »
While sunning myself in the EU I came across some interesting talk from the Maltese PM, let's hope he is correct. Although the holiday has been excellent the exchange rate,due to Brexit, has cost us dearly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/28/britain-should-fight-for-second-brexit-referendum-malta-pm
I got as far as his quote, "the will of the people can have disastrous consequences". That sums up the EU's attitude to democracy fairly well.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1207 on: July 28, 2017, 15:24:31 PM »
I got as far as his quote, "the will of the people can have disastrous consequences". That sums up the EU's attitude to democracy fairly well.

well...

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1208 on: July 28, 2017, 16:52:07 PM »
Have one of Winston's cigars  ;D

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1209 on: July 28, 2017, 18:38:18 PM »
If the EU negotiators continue to make their ridiculous demands, we may well walk away with no agreement.

That would screw us, though. 

The Chancelor was on R4 this morning, says there will be an interim agreement. There will be a gradual disentanglement over at least five years, even if Corbyn becomes PM.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1210 on: July 28, 2017, 18:40:37 PM »

What if the will of the people is to have Prime Minister Corbyn?

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1211 on: July 28, 2017, 20:12:45 PM »

What if the will of the people is to have Prime Minister Corbyn?
If enough people fall for his bribery and he is elected, of course I will accept the result. I certainly wouldn't demand a second election.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1212 on: July 28, 2017, 20:14:09 PM »

That would screw us, though. 

You say, many disagree with you.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1213 on: July 28, 2017, 23:05:13 PM »
You say, many disagree with you.

They can disagree by all means. I just wonder if they have thought it through.

No Open Skies agreement means no flights to and from UK from EU and US - only eight months left to get an interim agreement on that one! - hard border between NI and Eire so IRA comes back, 40% tax on food exports and loss of CAP rebate means UK farmers go out of business, loss of passporting means US banking houses up sticks and move to Dublin or Frankfurt so our City economic engine stalls.

Hard Brexit BAD. Let's do it slowly and carefully and safely.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1214 on: July 28, 2017, 23:08:11 PM »
If enough people fall for his bribery and he is elected, of course I will accept the result. I certainly wouldn't demand a second election.

But you assume the consequences will be disastrous, as do I - in which case we have the same attitude to democracy as the EU surely?