Author Topic: Personal R40  (Read 1994 times)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Re: Personal R40
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 13:12:34 PM »
2017 is my R36.  MP was the first one I listened to properly.  I was 8 years old and went from young boy to mid-teenager with that and the subsequent 5 albums as my soundtrack.  Which explains everything...  :D 8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 13:16:19 PM by Matt2112 »
HYF30

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 20:26:53 PM »
MP was the first one I listened to properly.  I was 8 years old and went from young boy to mid-teenager with that and the subsequent 5 albums as my soundtrack.  Which explains everything...  :D 8)
Funny, MP was the one where I thought "Hmmmmm, not as good as they used to be". I went from being a teenager to a miserable old curmudgeon with that one album :)
Legend in my own Mind

L3rxst

• TNMS Member
  • I will choose Freewill!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 15:45:45 PM »
That's a fascinating story James and congratulations on your R40.  I've still a little way to go before I reach that milestone.  Next year (2018) will be my personal R30 as I am still a relative "newbie" in the grand scheme of Rush fandom even though I'm probably one of the biggest Rush fans of my age. 

My obsession was Moving Pictures back in 1988 and it spiralled from there. ;)

The Great Easton Express, WOW that brings back memories of live telephone interviews with Alex Lifeson, around 1983 or thereabouts. I think that year, Kerrang voted Rush the Best Guitarist, Best Drummer and Best Bassist awards (not best vocals tho'). I guess that you are within broadcasting range of Liverpool then NeilP? Cos things were only good old stereo FM back then.
I want to believe......

L3rxst

• TNMS Member
  • I will choose Freewill!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 15:52:09 PM »
Im at R37

My first experience was picking up Radio 1'S Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance, when he played a pre-release version of Freewill. Wow that guitar solo got me straight away. I'm still trying to learn that and have played guitar ever since.......

I remember going straight down to WH Smiths the next weekend and trying to pick up a copy of Permanent Waves, and I couldn't find it. The inner sleeve photos of Le Studio are still great!
I want to believe......

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 20:26:40 PM »
Im at R37

My first experience was picking up Radio 1'S Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance, when he played a pre-release version of Freewill. Wow that guitar solo got me straight away. I'm still trying to learn that and have played guitar ever since.......

I remember going straight down to WH Smiths the next weekend and trying to pick up a copy of Permanent Waves, and I couldn't find it. The inner sleeve photos of Le Studio are still great!
I remember it well, I believe he previewed TSoR, Freewill and Entre Nous. Bit of an 'ooh err  :o ' moment for me as they were so different from previous material.

Ali

• TNMS Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 14:24:36 PM »
R39 for me I think, Hemispheres was the first 'new' release once I'd been hooked.

I remember my family going off for their traditional fortnight in Anglesey during
the summer of '78 and leaving me a tenner to survive on. I promptly shot down
to Penny Lane Records and bought 2112/AFTK, leaving me with diddly squat!
I can recall my folks ringing me at the end of the first week and having told them
I was skint (never declaring the reason why), my Dad drove back and took me to
Wales for the second week - result! :)
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul

cygnusxdave

• TNMS Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 00:31:00 AM »
Yeah. Sometime this year is my personal R40.

A school mate had a live album, recommended by an older brother, called All The World's A Stage. We (3 of us; the lad who had the album, self and another mate) went round to listen to it one lunchtime from school. He played sides 2 and 3 (Lakeside Park/2112/By-Tor And The Snow Dog/In The End) and I was hooked.

I then became aware that they had a new album out called A Farewell To Kings, so I bought that and that was it. They've been with me ever since.
I talk to planets, Baby!

mikeyboy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
R38 for me this year.

had an older brother who was into rock music and he listended to the friday rock show regularly, so as i was getting into music as a 6/7 yr old lad heard plenty of rock around the house along with loads of abba from me mam.

anyhow here in manchester on piccadilly radio they had a weekly rock show with pete baker caled rock relay. they had an hour special each week called heavy metal holocaust where they played 1 bands material for an hour. my brother recorded the rush special and played it to death. must have been when hemispheres was out as there was no pw stuff on there. i remember being blown away by la villa and bastille day.

was just starting to buy my own records at this point first single being ever fallen in love by the buzzcocks. used to save up my pocket money for a month and buy an lp at that time. so first album bought was all the worlds a stage from boots in sale, my brother got elo's greatest hits at the same time, thnk that was near the top of the charts if i remember correctly. hemispheres, aftk, archives came during the next year. that started my journey with rush which remains to this day.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:27:39 AM by mikeyboy »

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 22:53:11 PM »
It's now 40 years since Rush played their first overseas concert in Sheffield, memorably reviewed by Geoff Barton in Sounds.

I uploaded these scans of my own copy to my own web server years ago and evidently the folks at http://www.cygnus-x1.net nicked them, but I don't mind.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/scans/sounds-06.11.1977.pdf

I was so excited to read this 40 years ago because my own first Rush gig was only a few days later.

mc

• TNMS Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 20:06:01 PM »
Today is my personal R40 - Hammersmith Odeon, London. The best place I ever saw them perform over the years - i loved that place for shows.
Hammersmith Odeon June 77
Where it all began....................

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 21:54:05 PM »
40 years ago tonight I was at my first Rush gig. I remember it so vividly but when you put that time into historical context it seems an awful long time ago. Jim Callaghan was PM, Harold Wilson having resigned a year earlier. The Beatles had only split up seven years earlier.

The Clash had released their first album a few months earlier. Never Mind The Bollocks was still a couple of months off.

Don Revie was England manager. Tommy Docherty was still in charge at United, though about to be sacked for having an affair with the club's physiotherapist's wife.

The Letter R

• TNMS Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »
And only 11 years since England had won the World Cup  ;D

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 17:04:30 PM »
And only 11 years since England had won the World Cup  ;D

Lol. Don't keep mentioning that mate.

The Letter R

• TNMS Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 17:05:56 PM »

Lol. Don't keep mentioning that mate.

:)

Pug

• TNMS Member
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 21:18:27 PM »
20 years tonight since I was at my 2nd Rush gig. Went over to the US. Made the roadtrip with a bunch of mates from Minneapolis to Chicago to see them at the New World Ampitheatre. Highlight was easily hearing 2112 in it's entirety.