Author Topic: Brexit watch  (Read 23993 times)

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
Re: Brexit watch
« Reply #1095 on: May 09, 2017, 22:45:06 PM »
Apparently Macron is calling for the EU to institute a "buy European" policy, reserving access to public sector procurement contracts to companies that produce most of their goods or services in the EU. This would freeze British companies out of EU government contracts post Brexit, and would also be in direct contravention of the WTO Government Procurement Agreement of which the EU is a full member.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #1096 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »
Apparently Macron is calling for the EU to institute a "buy European" policy, reserving access to public sector procurement contracts to companies that produce most of their goods or services in the EU. This would freeze British companies out of EU government contracts post Brexit, and would also be in direct contravention of the WTO Government Procurement Agreement of which the EU is a full member.
No surprise here, the EU have always been inward-looking protectionists.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 13:27:57 PM by DavidL »

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1097 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »
touché
Rush - One Little Victory ;-)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #1098 on: May 11, 2017, 23:32:19 PM »
More "less than encouraging" economic news today with the Bank of England lowering growth expectations and Mark Carney warning of tough times ahead amid fears of wage growth being "notably weaker than expected"
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1099 on: May 12, 2017, 07:12:56 AM »
More "less than encouraging" economic news today with the Bank of England lowering growth expectations and Mark Carney warning of tough times ahead amid fears of wage growth being "notably weaker than expected"
Can't believe a word he says.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #1100 on: May 17, 2017, 05:08:24 AM »

Wage growth? What's that then mate?

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #1101 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
But I thought we'd be fine with no deal? TM admits it will be dire http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN18E1J4Given that there's no way you could do a deal by March 2019 and you only need one country to refuse an extension, it looks like dire is coming.
Pretending two years was enough will prove a fatal mistake, I reckon. As the man who wrote Article 50 has indicated, it was never intended to be used sensibly.

Anyone else worried or will they (Fox et al) replace her through another Coup when she's secured what looks a comfortable forthcoming election victory?

döm

• TNMS Member
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #1103 on: May 19, 2017, 19:32:38 PM »
As the man who wrote Article 50 has indicated, it was never intended to be used sensibly.

Good grief.
And people wonder why "experts" get a bad name...
Hotel. Bloody. California. :(

Welcome to the EU protectionist straightjacket.
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #1105 on: May 30, 2017, 17:43:05 PM »
Someone is going to be extremely busy ...

https://ig.ft.com/brexit-treaty-database/

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #1107 on: June 03, 2017, 20:52:58 PM »
To be honest, while I appreciate they may be interesting for some, I'm finding these articles opining that we'd be much better off in the EU about as worthwhile as I'd find a piece arguing that Ed Miliband would have been a stronger PM than Cameron. The matter was decided some time ago.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1108 on: June 04, 2017, 00:05:03 AM »
To be honest, while I appreciate they may be interesting for some, I'm finding these articles opining that we'd be much better off in the EU about as worthwhile as I'd find a piece arguing that Ed Miliband would have been a stronger PM than Cameron. The matter was decided some time ago.
Waste of ink. As you say, the decision is made. What is now relevant is where it leads us in 2 years time..and no one knows the answer to that.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #1109 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
Waste of ink. As you say, the decision is made. What is now relevant is where it leads us in 2 years time..and no one knows the answer to that.

Remainers might say that's precisely the reason why it was crazy to vote Leave in the first place.

But, yes, we are where we are, so let's get behind the process of leaving.

HYF30