Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 51117 times)

döm

• TNMS Member
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2175 on: May 15, 2017, 23:09:22 PM »
I'd noticed that, assumed you were using two devices. Odd. Or possibly your tracks are being exported to Strava from some other resource?

Ahh good point. Wonder if its my watch?  I'll check out the settings
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2176 on: May 16, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »
Bike arrives tomorrow!

Good work from Wheelies getting it here so quickly
The new songs are an abomination

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2177 on: May 18, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »
Oh, its so lovely!

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2178 on: May 18, 2017, 18:40:01 PM »
Nice to hear :)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2179 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:59 AM »
Gracias.

the difference between the Planet X and the Cube is like the difference between a skoda and an Audi. Essentially the same kit, but seemingly much better put together, greater attention to detail, nicer paint job, internal cabling.

Obviously its not amphibious, so not been able to actually ride the bloody thing yet, but it hangs nicely on the wall at the moment!!!

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2180 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »
Gracias.

the difference between the Planet X and the Cube is like the difference between a skoda and an Audi. Essentially the same kit, but seemingly much better put together, greater attention to detail, nicer paint job, internal cabling.

Obviously its not amphibious, so not been able to actually ride the bloody thing yet, but it hangs nicely on the wall at the moment!!!

let us know how it compares when you get out on the road

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2181 on: May 19, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Is August soon enough?

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2182 on: May 20, 2017, 13:18:53 PM »
While pondering the transmission judder problem described in previous posts, a thought occurred to me: maybe I put the chain on the wrong way round, after cleaning the bike?

Now as a new chain, clearly there wasn't a right or wrong orientation to apply it to the bike. But after a couple of thousand miles of wear against a chainring and cassette that were already past their best when it was new, it probably does matter. Or so I reasoned.

So I got up this morning, mounted the bike on the stand, removed the chain and put it back on the other way round. Blasted it with GT-85, relubed it, then took it for a test spin. Rain was due over at 11-ish but I had a reasonable probability of 90 minutes or so of dry weather first. I headed toward Heather, thinking of doing one of the old lunchtime routes.

I did notice a marked improvement on the bike, though - the pedals seemed to be transmitting power a bit more smoothly than of late, and gear changes were slicker. I pushed hard up the hill in a high gear to try and repeat the 'judder' and I did get a hint of it, but not as strong as before. It's a sort of vibration through the pedals at a particular degree of force and speed.

I'm convinced that it's just wear upsetting the equilibrium. Maybe on the chain, maybe the cassette or chainring, or maybe all three. I don't believe the present chain has done as many miles as the last one did, but it's perhaps a bit less durable.

Anyway most of the time it doesn't make its presence felt at all so unless it gets worse I'm just going to ignore it for now.

I ended up doing a short version of the Twycross run, omitting Sheepy. Quite a nice ride out. Would have done more but didn't want to get wet, and the rain came over only a few minutes after I'd put the bike away.

First run out since Saturday! But I was in Chelmsford all last week. Might take a bike down there next time.

18.06, 267 done this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/996597509

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2183 on: May 20, 2017, 14:17:21 PM »
Just about ready to go out and it starts pissing it down :( After a wet ride one evening this week, I don't fancy another just yet. Oh, if only I was a morning person...

Well the rain relented to give me a two and a half hour slot on the bike, enough to get 44 miles in and to beat my best time up my new favourite hill :) I thought I might have burned my legs out trying - and failing - for a best time up Tibby High Street, but thankfully there was still enough left in the tank - even though I dropped half my flapjack in Tupton :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/997466003
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 21:30:17 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2184 on: May 20, 2017, 15:00:29 PM »
Still pondering a new bike, and this is a bargain at the moment:

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/SuperSix-Evo-Tiagra-Road-Bike-2016/9EIM

But it has an uncompromising racing geometry which is not what I want at all.

There's also this:

https://www.btwin.com/en/road-bikes/sport-road-bikes/20150-triban-560-carbon-frame-road-bike.html

.. a full carbon B'Twin for a shade less than £800 that's allegedly designed with comfort in mind. I still think a Boardman is my best bet but don't fancy forking out £1000 when I've seen them on offer for less than £800 a few times.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 15:41:07 PM by Slim »

andyhaines

• TNMS Member
  • Utter nonsense posted over here....
« Reply #2185 on: May 20, 2017, 17:59:08 PM »
Still pondering a new bike, and this is a bargain at the moment:

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/SuperSix-Evo-Tiagra-Road-Bike-2016/9EIM

But it has an uncompromising racing geometry which is not what I want at all.

There's also this:

https://www.btwin.com/en/road-bikes/sport-road-bikes/20150-triban-560-carbon-frame-road-bike.html

.. a full carbon B'Twin for a shade less than £800 that's allegedly designed with comfort in mind. I still think a Boardman is my best bet but don't fancy forking out £1000 when I've seen them on offer for less than £800 a few times.

I must say that I am very impressed with my Boardman MTB, both in terms of the kit and the build. I'd be very tempted to get a Boardman road bike in the future.

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2186 on: May 20, 2017, 21:59:21 PM »
I've actually just bought a Planet X Pro Carbon. Did this because:

1. Lime Green

2. Discounted at the moment

3. Alleged to be comfortable for longer rides

4. Upgraded the wheels at time of purchase, to save doing it later or swapping with the Boardman

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2187 on: May 21, 2017, 13:40:56 PM »
Lovely sunny day. Would have done a long one, but promised to take 'er indoors out for lunch. But I got about 20 miles in this morning, up to Melbourne, across to Ticknall and down through Ashby - a relatively recent route that I'm fond of, marred only by a brutal hill along Heath Lane. Alton Hill, which I used to actively avoid actually seems almost trivial to me now, perhaps as a consequence of doing the Heath Lane one a few times, perhaps because I'm a bit fitter or possibly because my hill-climbing tactics are a bit sharper than they were.

I must have knocked a button on the watch while taking a breather at the bench at the end of Staunton Lane because I managed to stop recording the track. I started it just before setting off again, but the route is in two parts and I haven't bothered to concatenate them:

https://www.strava.com/activities/998517793

https://www.strava.com/activities/998517807

20.29, 287 this month. And I've done 1697 this year which suggests that 4000 is a realistic target for 2017. Will aim to have done 2100 by the end of June.

My spreadsheet tells me I've been out a total of 7 times on the hybrid this year, which I suppose means I should move it on to make space in the garage. It has been a brilliantly reliable and trouble-free bike. Never had the chain come off, never adjusted the gears, never had to replace anything.

Here's a pic of the Pro Carbon I should have in a week or so, with the same wheels I've ordered. I did think about ordering this colour, before deciding on green.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2188 on: May 21, 2017, 15:01:07 PM »
Nice bike Slim!

42km spin today, (a very slow group spin but enjoyable nonetheless).  There is a small hill in Trim (Loman St) that is a Strava segment.  I currently have the fastest time for today on that segment (8th fastest of the year) but we had the An Ros bike race taking that very hill through Trim an hour or so ago.  I watched them pass and what amazed me was the power of the wind they generated as they went through.  Be interesting to see how far down the list on that stretch I'll be when they arrive in Longford later today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/998375793
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 15:19:09 PM by döm »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2189 on: May 21, 2017, 18:59:49 PM »
I'll put my Captain Obvious head on and say that going uphill reduces your average speed!
Yesterday I did 44 miles at an 18.2 mph average, today after 44 miles my average was 15.8 after having done 1,050ft more climbing. My legs ache now. But, I do have the fastest time of the day up the Loads Road segment (37th out of 200 for the year) taking a minute and twenty off my previous best which was done on the hybrid. I expected it to be even quicker actually, but it's 1.7 miles at a pretty steady 7% and I don't like going uphill.
However, all the uphill work means I have completed the Strava Everest climbing challenge :) I've also gone past 2,000 miles for the year. I also came the nearest I've done to bonking on a ride. The old legs just jellified about three miles from home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/999187359

https://www.relive.cc/view/999187359
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:33:34 AM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind