Author Topic: Deep Purple-Infinite  (Read 198 times)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
Deep Purple-Infinite
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »
I quite like it.

There was a documentary on the making of it on Sky arts, called from Here to Infinity, and it really was a fantastic watch.

Lovely bunch of fellers, and always nice to see an album being recorded, as well as some interviews, live footage, old stuff etc. Narrated by Rik Wakeman

So I downloaded the album, and its pretty good. Some immediate stuff, some bluesy stuff, a couple of really proggy numbers, Morse for once isn't too twiddly, and Don Airey does an amazing keyboard stint

But surely Devin Townsend needs to have a word with them about the album cover.......

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:57:04 AM by Jonners »
The new songs are an abomination

Thenop

• TNMS Member
Re: Deep Purple-Infinite
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:07:51 AM »
I really like the album. Bought it on release. Strong follow up to the last one for sure.
Not overly joyed with the Doors cover, but the rest is top stuff.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
Agreed. The Doors songs stands out like a sore thumb to be honest, but I was never a fan of the Doors anyway

Birds of Prey has got the most fantastic, understated guitar solo. When you see the documentary of it, Morse plays it but then gets all twiddly. Ezrin basically calls him out on it, gets him to do it again without the flash bits, and it is absolutely lovely, and a fantastic example of what a good, strong producer who knows his stuff can do with a quality band

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Seen the doc, fantastic. That specific riff (birds of prey) was done by Glover. Love the slow, almost plodding quality of that. Also love the drumsound on Get me Outta here. Very Zeppelin-esque. The neo-classical buts in the titletrack and the Surprising also reminisce to the DP heydays.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 15:20:31 PM »
Enjoyed the doc, but when Gillan added the vocals it all went downhill for me....

Sad to see Morse struggling with his technique - I've always liked his playing
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 17:20:37 PM »
I know what you mean. Never seen a guitarist use a supportive glove before, although to be fair he still delivers