Author Topic: Election!  (Read 7277 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: Election!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2017, 23:13:55 PM »

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 00:04:03 AM »
Corbyn should have worn that cap today while advocating a £10 minimum wage.  Mad, crazy person.

I'm almost certain now my marginal constituency will be taken by the Tories from Labour.  Holly Lynch never answered that email I sent her about 6 months ago anyway.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 00:10:30 AM by Matt2112 »
HYF30

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »
Corbyn should have worn that cap today while advocating a £10 minimum wage.  Mad, crazy person.

I'm almost certain now my marginal constituency will be taken by the Tories from Labour.  Holly Lynch never answered that email I sent her about 6 months ago anyway.
Oh, he's totally mad alright. A £10 min wage would see Eastern Europe turned into an uninhabited wasteland (if it didn't destroy UK businesses, that is).
His speech yesterday was the usual revolutionary clap-trap. Will have been lapped-up by the 'dyed-in-the-wool' Trots and the newbie six-formers that don't know any better. Hopefully they won't be arsed to get off their Playstations and get to the polling station on the day.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
Heard speculation yesterday that one of the papers, or perhaps even Conservative Central Office, has been saving some dirt about Corbyn for the latter stages of the election campaign - some damning revelation about his connections to the Provos, or Hamas. They'd let it out of the bag when it's too late for Labour to perform an emergency leader change before polling day, but with just enough time to let it sink in.

I sort of doubt this will happen myself but it would certainly make for a lively run up to election day.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2017, 13:59:12 PM »
I wonder why, when the PLP don't believe Corbyn is fit to lead their party, Labour MPs are telling the electorate he's capable of leading the country?
A new low, surely?

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2017, 14:55:10 PM »
An interview with Dawn Butler, one of said MPs, that even the BBC described as "difficult"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050mzc6

I can recall that some here disagreed with me when I described Trump as the 'American Corbyn' last year. But now the British Corbyn is railing against the establishment and the "rigged system". Perhaps in coming days he'll tell us that he's going to "drain the swamp".

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2017, 16:34:24 PM »
I wonder why, when the PLP don't believe Corbyn is fit to lead their party, Labour MPs are telling the electorate he's capable of leading the country?
A new low, surely?

The crucial thing for a political party, especially at election time, is to appear unified.  Something the Conservatives are very good at faking as they realise how important it is.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2017, 16:48:01 PM »

The crucial thing for a political party, especially at election time, is to appear unified.  Something the Conservatives are very good at faking as they realise how important it is.
No amount of 'wool-pulling' is going to convince the electorate that the Labour party is unified, in fact 'appearing' unified could backfire - no one likes to be treated like an idiot.
The crucial thing for a political party at election time is to present policies that a large part of the electorate would like to see enacted and a party leader that the electorate believe has the ability to hold the post of Prime Minister.........the Labour party has neither.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2017, 16:56:48 PM »
No amount of 'wool-pulling' is going to convince the electorate that the Labour party is unified, in fact 'appearing' unified could backfire - no one likes to be treated like an idiot.
The crucial thing for a political party at election time is to present policies that a large part of the electorate would like to see enacted and a party leader that the electorate believe has the ability to hold the post of Prime Minister.........the Labour party has neither.

that's important too, but infighting and going against the party leader will do no one any good.  Whether they like it or not they have to give him their full support (until June 9th)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2017, 19:13:43 PM »

that's important too, but infighting and going against the party leader will do no one any good.  Whether they like it or not they have to give him their full support (until June 9th)
Yes, hilarious ....isn't it?

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2017, 20:09:40 PM »
Yes, hilarious ....isn't it?

I can see how it would appear so to some !

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2017, 14:48:41 PM »
This article could have gone in the Election or Brexit thread....

2nd worse economy for wage growth amongst the OECD....

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/breaking-strong-economy-narrative.html?m=1

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 01:01:21 AM »
This article could have gone in the Election or Brexit thread....

2nd worse economy for wage growth amongst the OECD....

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/breaking-strong-economy-narrative.html?m=1
Wouldn't have anything to do with the mass import of cheap labour from Eastern Europe....would it?

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2017, 13:52:13 PM »
Wouldn't have anything to do with the mass import of cheap labour from Eastern Europe....would it?

Doesn't seem to be affecting wage growth in Germany, France, the Benelux etc, so there must be more to it then that.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2017, 15:38:36 PM »

Certainly there are a couple of dissident voices on the left of the parliamentary Conservative party; Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry spring to mind. But the remainers among Tory MPs realise and accept that they lost the argument while the leavers are content that the will of the people is being fulfilled in the proper spirit. So I would say that the mainstream of the Conservative Party, and certainly the great majority of Conservative MPs, are sincerely supportive of Mrs May and in particular her approach to Brexit.

By contrast no less than 80% of the present crop of Labour MPs publicly supported a motion of no confidence in their leader in June, and nearly all of them are still in place. The situation the Labour Party is in at the moment is unprecedented in British politics.