Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 49218 times)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2100 on: April 21, 2017, 16:45:46 PM »
same brand or different brand of bike?
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2101 on: April 21, 2017, 17:12:02 PM »
They hybrid is a relatively inexpensive Carrera Subway that I bought for about £300 from Halfords four years ago, when I cycled much less frequently than I do now. It's a very reliable workhorse.

This is the current version:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike

With the tractor tyres replaced with 'city slickers' it's quite serviceable for moderate road use, although you chaps who care about your average speeds would no doubt find it rather frustrating. But for general purpose commuting / occasional leisure cycling I think they're brilliant.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2102 on: April 21, 2017, 21:33:28 PM »
Out after work on the Boardman + hybrid saddle. I think I may have set it the transplanted seat post half an inch higher than the one it replaced, but it was fine. Went down through Ibstock and over toward Desford which is the first part of the Northamptonshire route, but hung a right toward Cadeby and Market Bosworth, then came back the usual way from there.

Only 19.71 miles but more tomorrow, I hope.

https://www.strava.com/activities/951975400

281 done this month (target was 264). 883 this year.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2103 on: April 22, 2017, 13:41:25 PM »
First swallows of the year seen on my ride today, welcome back fellas.

https://www.strava.com/activities/952839291/segments/23308713843
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2104 on: April 22, 2017, 20:21:39 PM »
Being as former Giro winner Michele Scarponi was killed today and it appears that our very own Jonners had an incident today  I thought a nice steady sensible ride was in order.
Well it was steadyish, but probably involved too much climbing to be sensible. Having feared I was losing my cycling mojo I managed to set my fastest ever time up the climb through Cutthorpe today. Which was nice. My Garmin always exhorts me to do featured climbs when out in the Peaks, normally I ignore them, but today I did the 4.3 mile Abney climb, it only averages 3% but it has several short steep sections, I managed to do the bottom one on the big chain ring. I hadn't wanted to... Half way up I passed a bloke and his kid cycling up, the kid was in a Polka Dot Jersey, so I blew him away :) They deserved it as they were riding two abreast up a single track road. Once past the Derbyshire and Lancashire Glding Club at the top the road was closed due to subsidence, but cyclists can pick their way through.
I then took a road up to Sir William Hill, which I've never been on in all my born days, the views were fantastic, up to Kinder Scout to the left, the White Peak to the right and the East Moor gritstone edges ahead of me. It's all too easy to ignore these things when they're on your doorstep.

https://www.strava.com/activities/953301820

https://www.relive.cc/view/953301820
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 21:35:58 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2105 on: April 22, 2017, 22:44:57 PM »
Sounds rather final for Mr Scarponi but I hope Jonners isn't hurt.

Anyway - I finished my scheduled work early in the afternoon and since the weather was rather nice, I decided to go out for 30 miles or so. By the time I got to the garage door though, I'd already decided to do a long one - Rutland or Lincolnshire. But since I had the route to Lincolnshire in the GPX app on my phone and wasn't sure I'd remember the way to Rutland, that pretty much made the decision rather obvious.

I knew I only had about 40% charge on the phone and a 50% charge on my GPS watch, but I thought that would be enough. I only had enough food and fizzy water for 30 miles or so, but I had a debit card on me as well as the emergency £20 in the frame pack. Furthermore I had spare batteries for the DAB. So off I set.

I was enjoying myself quite fulsomely, despite being a bit too cool when the sun disappeared behind the clouds, as it did intermittently - until I got to Eastwell, a nondescript little village a few miles from the Lincolnshire border with a handy wooden bench. Just as I rose from said bench following a 10 minute rest and cheese roll, the GPS watch issued a low battery warning, then died 5 seconds later.

I continued to track my ride using my phone, but that only had a 24% charge left.

As I neared the target, I was pleased to see the cafe at Belvoir Castle open. I continued the mile or so to the Lincolnshire border, pedalled over it a few metres then came straight back. However the caff had closed in the ten minutes it took to make it back there. This seemed like quite a serious problem because I wasn't due to pass another shop, pub or other source of hydration and nutrients for 20 miles or so, and I only had half a flapjack and a small cheese roll left, along with a gulp of fizzy water in my water bottle. Unfortunately I was already fading slightly. I set off homeward regardless, holding my mouth open to catch midgies.

I took the right turn toward Wymeswold four miles early, taking the A606 instead. But I realised what I'd done after a mile or so, and fortunately the phone had enough juice left for me to consult Google Maps and reroute. This turned out to be fortuitous because it took me right past a nice little gastro pub at Old Dalby. I felt a little conspicuous clattering in there in cleats and black & yellow lycra, but they were extremely friendly and hospitable - the woman who ran the place told me that they'd had 40 cyclists in this morning, fuelling up with bacon butties. I ordered a cheese & onion sandwich and chips, some elderflower juice, and a bottle of water. They provided me with a staggering quantity of chips, and I must say they really kept me going for the last 25 miles.

Felt slightly drained when I got back. The phone battery died not long after leaving the pub so the track I uploaded to Strava was reproduced faithfully on bikehike.co.uk (you can add timestamps here: http://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php).

I must say it was frustrating not being able to keep track of progress after the charge in the Garmin watch expired. But I knew the rough distance from home of some of the points on the way.

77.66 miles, which takes me to a thoroughly respectable 358 this month.

Would I fancy doing another 70 straight away? Not really, but that's what a return trip to Wales entails. I probably need to get fitter.

https://www.strava.com/activities/953535190

I'll definitely plan properly before doing another long ride, though I got away with it this time.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 22:51:30 PM by Slim »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2106 on: April 23, 2017, 21:49:03 PM »
Well, I feel worse for heading out to the flat lands of Nottinghamshire today, than I did after a Peak District Foray yesterday. Probably all due to setting off with the wind behind me in the hope of doing a few PBs - at which I failed miserably - then coming back into the wind, especially up the drag from the Langwiths.
Still, it was another 40 miles done, which takes me to over 1,400 for the year and 440 for April vs 326 for all of April last year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/955050861

I also managed to tick off April's 7,500m climbing challenge :)
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2107 on: April 24, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
Proper crash on Saturday.

Bike totalled.

Stitches in elbow, slight concussion, lots of grazes, and a MASSIVE haematoma on my left hip, had to have it aspirated.

Think that's me done for a while then

bugger

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2108 on: April 24, 2017, 13:31:14 PM »
What caused It?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2109 on: April 24, 2017, 13:32:12 PM »
Proper crash on Saturday.

Bike totalled.

Stitches in elbow, slight concussion, lots of grazes, and a MASSIVE haematoma on my left hip, had to have it aspirated.

Think that's me done for a while then

bugger

sorry to hear that - hopefully you'll be back in the saddle before too long.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2110 on: April 24, 2017, 13:50:35 PM »
Very sorry to hear, Jonners. Hope it all heals up soon.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2111 on: April 24, 2017, 16:25:36 PM »
Riding in a line on Saturday, going well and pretty quickly.
Guy at the front, instead of signalling a pothole, decided to bunny hop it instead. Next in line ploughed straight into the hole, I ploughed into him and the floor at about 23mph

The rest, as they say, is painful!

Please always wear your helmets guys, even for slow or short rides. Undoubtedly saved my life

andyhaines

• TNMS Member
  • Utter nonsense posted over here....
« Reply #2112 on: April 24, 2017, 20:50:45 PM »
Guy at the front, instead of signalling a pothole, decided to bunny hop it instead. Next in line ploughed straight into the hole, I ploughed into him and the floor at about 23mph

Please always wear your helmets guys, even for slow or short rides. Undoubtedly saved my life
Glad that you are okay mate.

I'm always telling the kids at school to wear their helmets.

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2113 on: April 24, 2017, 21:46:19 PM »
Guy at the front, instead of signalling a pothole, decided to bunny hop it instead.
That's why I hang about wheel-sucking, I'm crap at signalling potholes. I'm crap at seeing potholes.

Glad you're still in the land of the living Jonners :)
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #2114 on: April 24, 2017, 23:11:16 PM »

This is exactly the reason I ride with just two mates, never in a large group. We have a retailer here that organises social rides for groups of differing abilities. Having considered joining them, I thought better of it after hearing of various pile-ups. In a group there's nowhere to go if one goes down, carnage is usually the result. I sort of feel a little for the guy on the front who failed to call out the pothole as he was probably on autopilot and just did something he would normally do if alone. There's a big responsibility on the front that would take the enjoyment out of a ride for me. I shudder to think what the result of such an incident would be amongst fast-moving traffic.
I'm sure it's an exhilarating way to ride but the roads are just too bad to take risks these days. Glad you're still in one piece . Hope you get back on the bike soon.