Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 41470 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2085 on: April 12, 2017, 21:53:55 PM »
Had my first after work ride of the year tonight :)

OK it was only 7.5 miles, but it celebrated the first birthday of my Garmin Edge 520. THe confounded cold I've has is still lingering on though.
Legend in my own Mind

andyhaines

• TNMS Member
  • Utter nonsense posted over here....
« Reply #2086 on: April 13, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »
After my old Ridgeback bike got broken and before I bought a new one, back in 2012 or so I think, I used to go for a run occasionally. I never really got particularly far, in fact I typically couldn't run for more than 3 minutes or so, even at a gentle pace without stopping, knackered and out of breath.

Well just out of curiosity I thought I'd go for a run just now. Clearly the cycling has made a difference; I managed to run (jog really) for over 6 minutes, and about 2/3 of a mile exactly before I decided I couldn't take it any more. But even so - a reasonably athletically fit person ought to be able to do more than that, surely?

Makes me wonder if I should run regularly - clearly, or so my logic tells me, if I can hit the limits of my exertion in a matter of minutes by running then it must be a pretty efficient way to get fitter. Intuitively you might think the most effective way to train yourself for cycling long rides is by cycling, but perhaps a combination of running and cycling might be better.

Perhaps slightly unedifyingly, I uploaded it to Strava. I'll do it again soon and see if I can beat the time or the distance.

https://www.strava.com/activities/937930083

I used to run quite a lot, but found that I picked up more injuries/niggles than I do now that I cycle more. I still run about once a week...for me, I find running 6 miles feels like cycling for about 35-40 miles, so if I am strapped for time I'll go for a run.

Whatever colours you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

andyhaines

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2087 on: April 14, 2017, 13:15:57 PM »
Picked up my new Boardman earlier this week. Really impressed with the quality of the kit and the ride...it knocks the spots off of my Specialized.   8)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2088 on: April 14, 2017, 17:15:45 PM »
Hmmm, just over a year since I bought my Giant bike, must be time for a new one, I just don't seem to be getting quicker anymore, in fact I seem to be treading water at best or slowing down a bit. A nice carbon framed bike will be just the thing. Of course it has nothing to do with it still being early in the season and the wind being from the wrong direction...

Then again, I did manage to set a couple of PBs on the ride today, one of which was uphill and it was a ride on roads well covered by me in the past. I also saw a Bullfinch when I stopped off at Linacre Reservoirs, which was nice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/941916479
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2089 on: April 14, 2017, 17:37:14 PM »
I was thinking about acquiring a Team Carbon myself, but the faff of changing the wheels over put me off a bit. I think I've missed the discounts now. But I'm happy enough with my regular old alloy model. Of course speed is not my thing and I don't know how much difference carbon makes to distance or comfort.

The gears are swankier on the carbon model as well but the ones I have work well enough - can't remember ever wishing I had smoother gears.

andyhaines

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2090 on: April 14, 2017, 22:41:51 PM »
I was thinking about acquiring a Team Carbon myself, but the faff of changing the wheels over put me off a bit. I think I've missed the discounts now. But I'm happy enough with my regular old alloy model. Of course speed is not my thing and I don't know how much difference carbon makes to distance or comfort.

The gears are swankier on the carbon model as well but the ones I have work well enough - can't remember ever wishing I had smoother gears.
Cycling Plus magazine's and Bike Radar's Bike of The Year last year was an alloy road bike...as light, or lighter than most carbon frame bikes of a similar cost. Cannondale CAAD12.  :)

andyhaines

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2091 on: April 14, 2017, 22:49:49 PM »

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2092 on: April 15, 2017, 17:56:26 PM »
A nice, mostly sunny day despite being windy and a bit cool. Couldn't go far because I'm on call (again) but I wrapped up warm and did a moderate version of the Twycross run, 35.02 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/943526364

Very enjoyable. Perfect therapy for a light hangover.

823 done this year now, and 221 this month.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2093 on: April 15, 2017, 20:18:37 PM »
Definitely a bit windy today! I decided to give my legs a bit of a rest today and not do a full run out into the Peak District. The wind put me off that. I did take a steeper than normal route up to the tops which is hard going even when it isn't windy, so it was a real slog today. And even though it wasn't a full om ride into the Peaks I did more climbing per mile than when I went to Edale last week.
It was nice though when the wind was behind me, it felt still then, but of course it was giving me a nice push along. Ninety degree bends then turned it into a cross wind which had me blowing about the roads a bit. Today I saw - and heard - more Curlews than I ever have before. I think there thoughts were turning to sweet lurve. The Skylarks were also in evidence today, always nice to see and hear.

https://www.strava.com/activities/943580560
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #2094 on: April 16, 2017, 22:21:40 PM »
Nice 42 mile ride this morning. Windy but plenty of sunshine.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2095 on: April 17, 2017, 18:25:11 PM »
Dry enough today for a run out, though it was a bit cold and windy. I thought I'd go up to Melbourne, across to Ticknall, down to Ashby and then straight back home. But I was enjoying myself too much by the time I got to Ashby so I hung a right to Packington and motored on down through Twycross to Sheepy.

By the time I got there I decided I couldn't quite be bothered to do the full Ratcliffe Culey - Fenn Lanes variant, so I cut across to Sibson and came home past the Gibbet Post through Congerstone, Shackerstone and Heather. As usual I stopped for a few minutes at the Gibbet Post bench to enjoy the tranquility.

40.12 miles, which takes me to 261 this month, 863 this year.

On April 17th 2015 I'd only done 476, though a year ago I'd done 1140.

This trip really brought home to me how useful smartphones are for cycling. My DAB batteries died after the first hour and I knew I only had about an hour's worth of juice in the spare set, which would have been fine for the shorter trip I'd planned but wouldn't have lasted the longer ride I now intended. So I thought I'd try the BBC radio app - I didn't expect the mobile broadband signal to be good enough for this but in fact I got an uninterrupted service all the way from Ashby down to Sibson, when I switched back to the DAB. Just superb. I also used the phone to check my position on Google Maps and to phone 'er indoors from the Gibbet Post (I'd told her I'd be out for about two hours, though she never believes me anyway). If I hadn't had a GPS watch on I could have used it to record my ride and upload it to Strava. I sometimes post updates from it to Facebook on a longer trip as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/946413241

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2096 on: April 17, 2017, 18:36:10 PM »
I thought I'd better make the most of the Bank Holiday and get out and work off some of yesterday's excessive nosebag - and booze.
I managed to get a couple of hours worth of cycling in which gave me a total of 36.6 miles and my first 18mph ride of the year. Yet I picked up very few trophies, probably down to using well cycled roads and there being very little wind to give any assistance at any point.
I think all the carbs I rammed down my throat yesterday helped keep my legs a bit fresher than they have been, perhaps the wife is right and I should eat a bit more.

https://www.strava.com/activities/946430448

Been looking at some of the Pros on Strava. This is what Alex Dowsett uploaded for Paris-Roubaix:

https://www.strava.com/activities/935177164

So, that's 160 miles in 6 hours at an average of just under 27mph. I think I;m doing well if I do 160 miles over the course of a week!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 23:11:06 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2097 on: April 20, 2017, 18:23:29 PM »
I'd just done the first half mile of a 30 miler or so after work this evening when the saddle very suddenly gave way, tilting me backwards suddenly in a disconcerting fashion. Not too much trouble to come straight back of course, though it would have been a different matter had it happened an hour later.

Closer inspection later revealed that one of the two saddle clamp bolts had simply snapped, very cleanly. I hadn't touched it for over a year and I doubt it was over-tightened. No sign of corrosion. Just metal fatigue, I suppose.

Briefly thought of taking the hybrid out instead but the cycling mood had somewhat dissipated.

I've somehow lost half of the clamp, as well. Looks like a new seat post is in order.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2098 on: April 20, 2017, 21:48:46 PM »
Now the evenings are drawing out, I've had a couple of 15 mile rides out over the same circuit. Last night I thought I'd go for it and ended up averaging 18.3 mph. Tonight I thought I'd take it steady and ended up averaging 18.7 mph. I didn't take it steady, being as I managed an almost clean run down Brim Common so my average speed was up after the first three miles compared with yesterday. I lost 40 seconds on the final five miles though, probably down to there being just that bit more wind tonight than last night.

Thankfully I didn't get murdered going by the Boot and Shoe pub in Grassmoor like some old bloke did a couple of evenings back. Funny I must have ridden by that pub 100s of times, yet I never knew its name until this week. I don't get out much...
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2099 on: April 21, 2017, 15:09:15 PM »
Transplanted the seat post + saddle from the hybrid. Might be a bit heavier, not sure. But it will do nicely until the new seat post arrives tomorrow.

I have to say the hybrid has been a lot less bother this last couple of years than the road bike. The road bike has had a new stem, new chain, new gear cable, it now needs a new seat post and I've had to adjust the derailleurs a few times.

I've yet to do anything to the hybrid except changing the tyres once. I haven't even adjusted the gears, ever.