Author Topic: Slow cooker  (Read 1446 times)

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
Slow cooker
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
Some while ago, a got myself a slow cooker at a car boot sale for £4.00.  I am normally wary about getting electrical items from car boot sales, but at £4.00, thought it worth a punt.

I used it for the first time on Saturday - to make a beef stew (cubed beef, carrot, swede, onion, water, stock cubes, plain flour, thyme and rosemary), and with great results.  Served with mashed potato of course  8)
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Andrew_Haldane

Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
Mmmm lovely .....I'm salivating

Ben

• TNMS Member
  • Sod those Sheep...You can call me faithless
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 16:52:10 PM »
Good for making stock from a chicken carcus just the bones some herbs and an onion...and water and let it slowly do it's job!
'some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies'

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 15:24:49 PM »
Good for making stock from a chicken carcus just the bones some herbs and an onion...and water and let it slowly do it's job!

Do you use just one chicken rack or do you have to get a couple of them?
To me you're a Captain, but to a Captain, you're no Captain!

Ben

• TNMS Member
  • Sod those Sheep...You can call me faithless
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 19:16:47 PM »
Just one, a good base for soups, two would be better but it is ok with one Terr. Sounds like you had a good time in Toronto look forward to hearing about it next time we meet.
'some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies'

Mike

• TNMS Member
  • Avoid trends and clichés
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 20:43:30 PM »
Slow cookers are good, but even to make a stock you've still got to use at least one cooking vessel first to get things browned and the whole shebang up to temperature.

Interesting idea for stock. We do ours in a pressure cooker - job done in 30 mins. I can see cases where just bringing the stuff up to a boil then throwing it into the slow cooker and not having to worry about it is also a good option but you don't have any option to reduce it further unless you get another pan out or don't mind leaving it in the slow cooker for a week or so.

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 15:29:48 PM »
My sister did a pot roast for us in a slow cooker (crock pot, they call them here). The meat just fell apart. I think we will be investing in one of these shortly. You can pick them up cheap at carboot sales.

Mike

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 17:45:57 PM »
My sister did a pot roast for us in a slow cooker (crock pot, they call them here). The meat just fell apart. I think we will be investing in one of these shortly. You can pick them up cheap at carboot sales.

That's their strength, Terr - pot-roasting / slow-cooking can transform even the most unappetising piece of blister-packed, cheap supermarket meat into something fantastic.

Crock pot is also the generic name for the, usually ceramic, pot that holds the food and sits within the body of the slow-cooker, so I'm not surprised it's also a name for the whole machine.

No two slow cookers are the same, so get used to them before leaving them unattended for the whole day. I've had one that could cremate things on the high setting within 4 hours and another where high could be safely used for the whole day. Many have an auto setting that run at high for a while and then switch to a lower setting, but there certainly aren’t any standards and you’ll get what you pay for of course. That aside, there’s no point in spending an arm and a leg on something like a slow cooker - just get used to its various settings when you can keep an eye on it initially.

When cooking a joint, you'll definitely want to turn it at least once over a 6-8 hour cook unless it's small enough to be totally immersed in the cooking liquid throughout as would be the case for a casserole or stew.

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 18:04:39 PM »
You should have seen this piece of meat that she cooked. It was almost as big as Ron's bonce!

Mike

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 20:01:34 PM »
I'm sure I could give the esteemed Captain a run for his money in the bonce department. Since I've started clean shaving mine I'm never sure when looking in a mirror if I'm catching my own reflection or that of one of the observatories at Mauna Kea.