Author Topic: The Michelin Star Experience  (Read 6395 times)

Neph

• TNMS Member
  • #stripthetitles
Re: The Michelin Star Experience
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 17:41:58 PM »
Currently living the high life at Gleneagles, what a beautiful and tranquil place this is. One hour and twenty minutes until Andrew Fairlie has the pleasure of our patronage.
#herewego10inarow

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
Currently living the high life at Gleneagles, what a beautiful and tranquil place this is. One hour and twenty minutes until Andrew Fairlie has the pleasure of our patronage.

Decent food and drink mate?

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 17:52:32 PM »
Korean barbecue, endless dishes. Great experience.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2015, 19:49:56 PM »
Korean barbecue, endless dishes. Great experience.

Wrong thread mate.

Neph

• TNMS Member
  • #stripthetitles
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 21:52:44 PM »
Decent food and drink mate?

Incredible meal although I actually prefer Martin Wishart's restaurant despite having one less star.
#herewego10inarow

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 14:23:17 PM »
Incredible meal although I actually prefer Martin Wishart's restaurant despite having one less star.

What did you have then?

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 20:43:40 PM »
Now I know there are lots of you out there in TNMS land – at least one out of the twelve regulars – who love to follow my epicurean adventures out there in the world of Michelin starred food. Well my little barnacles, I have a new report to thrill your little minds, due to my good self and Mrs S visiting the restaurant of Glynn Purnell – Imaginatively titled Purnell’s – during our day’s holiday in Birmingham, thus bringing my Michelin tally to two.

Arriving at the Restaurant, we were shown to seats in the bar area where we were given a plate of marinated black and green olives. What could you wash down those with I hear you cry? The answer is obvious mes touts, a nice chilled glass of Manzanilla that’s what, and don’t you ever forget it! We had already decided before arrival that we would be going for the 9 course tasting menu – Purnell’s only offers a 6 or 9 course tasting menu, no a la carte – and that I would be washing it down with the matched wine flight. Mrs S deciding to go with a glass of Viognier from Domaine Gerovassiliou in Greece, a nice choice if I may say.

We were then shown through to our table in the Restaurant, where we were promptly presented with what was effectively an amuse bouche of “Taste of Cheese and Pineapple – Emotions of Soixante-Dix”. This is chef’s deconstructed version of the 70s cocktail party staple cheese and pineapple on a stick. To a cheese sauce spiced with Cayenne Pepper pieces of freeze dried pineapple were added along with edible silver foil and three teeny-weeny-itsy-bitsy bread sticks. Well my little rock encrusting chums, the sauce was simply divine and a bucket of that would have done me for the evening, especially if the pain de campagne which followed had been introduced earlier! Sir had his starter washed down with a Pinot Gris from Stopham Estate in West Sussex, a very flinty version of this grape I must say.

Next up was “Poached Duck Egg Yolk” this did exactly what it said on the tin shell, being a soft poached Duck egg served in the shell with black pudding, bacon, cauliflower and to sweeten it, birch syrup. It came with a cheesy bread stick soldier and it was really rather good, slaked as it was with a glass of Krug Grand Cuvée. I was quite eggstatic.

Taste three was “Chicken Liver Parfait” this was a quenelle of the parfait, coated in verjus jelly on a bed of really rather tasty toasted oats and grains with a beignet – a doughnut if you will – filled with sticky carrots. The wine choice of a Thörle Pinot Noir, Saulheimer, Kalkstein from Germany was a perfect match with the carroty doughnut. Most parfait, although I could have done without the verjus jelly. Just a minor quibble.

Course 4 was a conjoined course of “Scallop” paired with “And Then”. The Scallop was pan fried and served with almond satay, ponzu and crispy noodles which met with a Cookie Monster approved “Nom-nom-nom” And Then was a squid ink cracker with gravlax cured sea trout (cured? It was Dead!) earning another “Nom-nom” seal of approval. The Oriental flavourings here brought forth a little cup of Sake, I can provide no further details, my note taking capacity was faltering by this point.

For the next course there was a choice, there had been at course two actually, but the pair of us had chosen not to decide to make a choice. Anyway Mrs S went for the “Pan Fried Brixham Brill” which apparently was “Brill”, she’s a woman of few words is Mrs S (In my dreams…) whereas I swapped for “Monkfish Masala GBM 2009” a dish which scored highly for Glynn Purnell in the 2009 series of Great British Menu. Methinks I made a good call here, you have to have a curry in Birmingham. The Monkfish was pan fried and served with freeze-dried coconut, carrots, curry oil and a Balti dish of lentils. It was bowl licking time by now, although I did remember to drink my glass of – and here I had predicted to Mrs S what it would be - Viognier from Domaine Gerovassiliou in Greece. Perhaps I should retrain as a Sommelier?

Where are we with courses now? I don’t know what number we’re at, but the physical manifestation in front of us was “Tail Fillet of Beef” served rare with a pea salad, pea purée, liquorice and Tamarind. I wasn’t sure about the liquorice at first but it did work a treat and the pea salad was a pure distillation of peadom. Here I got the best glass of the wine flight a Cabernet Franc `W Dedicato a Walter’, Poggio al Tesoro in Tuscany. A most intense wine with a Eucalyptus nose and that sour cherry edge which characterises many an Italian wine.

Mrs S was starting to get excited now, as we had reached the first of three – yes three – sweet courses. The first of these was a palette Cleanser of “Mango and Passionfruit” in a sorbet form with lemon verbena gel, summer flowers and a white chocolate disc. Sweet. Paired with Riesling, `Cordon Cut` from Mount Horrocks in the Clare Valley, Australia. Mrs S had already decided to wash her puddings down with a glass of Pineau des Charentes. Not what sir would have chosen, but each to their own.

Pudding deux was probably the star of the night “Burnt English Custard Egg Surprise 10/10/10” Sir can’t say that he is a big fan of Egg Custard, but this had garnered three scores of 10 from the judges on Great British Menu and I can see why! It was served in the shell and was incredibly rich, intense and packed with vanilla. To go with it was black pepper honeycomb with “edible sand” (finely chopped digestives and sugar…) the pepper adding a nice touch of heat and a jar of marinated strawberries with tarragon, this smelt disconcertingly like a scented candle shop thankfully it didn’t taste at all waxy. Sir was served a glass of Banyuls Réserva, Domaine la Tour Vieille with this, a glass which was topped up to go with: “Mint Choccy Chip” This was the evening’s Blumenthal moment as a glass edifice was brought out filled with dry ice and surrounded by sprigs of dried mint, which we were exhorted not to eat* When water was poured on the dry ice it became a full on Prog Rock show with clouds of dry ice everywhere and the all-pervading scent of mint. The edible part of this was a mint ice cream and hot chocolate sauce with chocolate crumb. A rather grand finale. All that was left now was coffee and petits fours and a hefty credit card bill!

https://youtu.be/atETGZdHcIs

So my little inter-tidal crustaceans, a bientot!

* “Nom-nom-nom-nom”

Legend in my own Mind

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 13:17:31 PM »
wot no chips  ?
From the Land of Honest Men.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 17:01:36 PM »
Damn. Knew there was something missing >:(
One Star Trio Advisor review coming right up! :)
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 15:27:08 PM »
All looked very nice Simmers, but not a lot of it?

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 17:29:41 PM »
With all that wine he probably didn't care Rob  ;) ...or indeed know what he was eating by the time it came to the desserts. Who really makes those kind of mental notes while they're eating and drinking so many courses?  ??? :o What I'd like to know is how long the meal lasted for?
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 20:47:05 PM »
You don't actually get all that much wine, just enough to wash down each course. I made copious notes - mainly of the wines - on the copy menu you get given. Then typed up all my memories as soon as I got home.
I think it took just over three hours for us to get through it all, and Zooners, you would be hungry after a meal like that! I felt replete at the end of the evening, but woke up starved and had to dash out to McDonalds...
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 22:18:54 PM »
Never had you down as a Gourmet Nick.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
But...Greek wine?  Even Greeks don't rate Greek wine.  I must try some.
HYF30

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2016, 21:50:46 PM »
Never had you down as a Gourmet Nick.
Oh yes! A gently ambling one, if not a galloping one.
I enjoy the good things in life. Occasionally.

But...Greek wine?  Even Greeks don't rate Greek wine.  I must try some.
For a Greek White wine the Viognier we had was nothing short of sensational! So, quite average on a global scale ;)
Legend in my own Mind