Author Topic: The Michelin Star Experience  (Read 6394 times)

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
Re: The Michelin Star Experience
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 20:58:07 PM »
Nice description of your meal Nick. I really must go there some time soon. It's Anne's birthday in November so that might be a good excuse.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 20:58:42 PM »
good read Nick, Kitchin's is ok isn't it?

What did the young strap make on the decent grub?

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 21:26:52 PM »
Yes, it's certainly OK :)

The boy really enjoyed it, although he found the Monkfish liver a bit much. His duck and then the Lemon soufflé soon disappeared!

Mrs S can't stop talking about it - but she can't stop talking anyway...
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 00:05:00 AM »
Whilst up in Embra for a few days last week, I thought it would be a good idea to take Mrs S - and the boy - out for some decent nosebag, especially as she's 50 next week and I hadn't taken her out for a meal since her 40th...

I decided that we'd make a gastronomic port of call in the Foodie Haven that is Leith. The choice was between The Kitchin and Martin Wishart's. I decided that because the boy likes Masterchef that we would go and visit wee Tom Kitchin as he pops on said Prog, so we booked in for lunch.

We went down to Leith on the bus which embarassed Mrs S as the bus stop where we alighted was opposite the Kithcin - but on it's non-public face. With it being lunchtime - and with me being tight - we decided on the 3 course set lunch, which may not be as fancy as the a la carte menu but which should show why the place has a Michelin star, and at £36.50 it semt a bargain.

We all had different starters, the wife had a salad of English Heritage tomatoes served with barbequed Mackerel from St Abb's head and a pesto dressing. The boy went for teh Terrine of Monkfish liver from Scrabster served with a Fennel and Lemon compote. I had the  Pea soup served with lettuce, croutons, crispy bacon and goats cheese ravioli. Pea Soup? I'm not taking the piss, but it was the best pea soup ever and the goat's cheese in the raviloi was delicious and creamy.

For mains, the gruesome twosome both had Roasted Loomswood farm Duck served with an endive tatin, roasted celeriac and orange sauce. I elected to pay a supplement for Grouse, which was roasted on the bone, then served off the bone with bread sauce, game chips and Perthshire Girolles. It was superb, cooked to prefection, the meat melted in your mouth and was sweet, smoky and slightly gamey. Mrs S thoight her duck was the best she'd ever had.

For dessert, the boy had a Lemon soufflé served with frozen yoghurt and Mrs S and myself had a baked cheesecake served with Scottich blueberries, toasted cobnuts and a blueberry sorbet. It was divine :)

To drink with the meal we went for the matched lunch wine package which gave a glass with each course, the sommelier explained why he had made the choices he did, and much as I'd have loved to have found fault with his choices I couldn't. Personally I wouldn't have thought of a Chianti to go with Grouse, shows what I know...

We finished off with coffee and petit fours and Tom Kitchen came out himself to have a word with us, he was impressed that the boy chose the Monkfish liver, as that was the most challenging dish on the lunch menu.

I must make mention of the service, it was immaculate - even if they were French - nobody had to ask who was having what it was all delivered where it should have been.

Heartily recommended, we did pop over to Wishart's to see his lunch menu and that would have not have  been as much to our tastes.

Great post Simmers, really enjoyed reading that mate  :).

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
..."nobody had to ask who was having what it was all delivered where it should have been.".....

interesting..... i remember seeing i think it was MAsterchef that some chef mentioned that once the order is taken nobody should be asked who is having what  ??.. it's always something i look out for when i go out for some nosh... every place fails miserably in that respect....
From the Land of Honest Men.

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
..."nobody had to ask who was having what it was all delivered where it should have been.".....

interesting..... i remember seeing i think it was MAsterchef that some chef mentioned that once the order is taken nobody should be asked who is having what  ??.. it's always something i look out for when i go out for some nosh... every place fails miserably in that respect....

I've had that sort of service in a few places. At  the Peat Inn near Cupar in Fife, when it was run by David Wilson who was an occasional judge on the original Masterchef, your order was taken in the ante-room where you had pre-dinner drinks, by his wife who ran the front of house. Once you were seated the food was brought by the waiting staff and put in front of the right person without asking who was having what. We were in a group of six and I've always wondered what notes she wrote on the order so they'd know who was having what. For me it was probably big fat bald guy.  ::)

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
I've had that sort of service in a few places. At  the Peat Inn near Cupar in Fife, when it was run by David Wilson who was an occasional judge on the original Masterchef, your order was taken in the ante-room where you had pre-dinner drinks, by his wife who ran the front of house. Once you were seated the food was brought by the waiting staff and put in front of the right person without asking who was having what. We were in a group of six and I've always wondered what notes she wrote on the order so they'd know who was having what. For me it was probably big fat bald guy.  ::)

bloke in the Caress of Steel t shirt = mince n tatties..:)
From the Land of Honest Men.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
bloke in the Caress of Steel t shirt = mince n tatties..:)

Lol, nice one.

Tom Garrett

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Sigh
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 07:49:20 AM »
Very impressive Nick.
As a food critic, i like your style...new vocation in life?
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 23:13:21 PM »
As a food critic, i like your style...new vocation in life?
Too much like hard work. I like to keep the stuff I type to the length of "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad"...
Legend in my own Mind

Neph

• TNMS Member
  • #stripthetitles
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
Nice to see you enjoyed as much as I did Nick. 8)
#herewego10inarow

Dods

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 20:37:01 PM »
Went to Cafe Rutz in Berlin during the tour in June. Taster menu & accompanying wines was simply outstanding. Truly outstanding, best yet.

Neph

• TNMS Member
  • #stripthetitles
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
I'm making the step up to 2 stars in October when me and Mrs. Neph make a visit to Andrew Fairlie's restaurant at Gleneagles. We are really looking forward to it and it'll be interesting to see what the difference is between 1 and 2 stars. We're also staying the night at Gleneagles as we are frightfully posh. I wonder if the bar sells Buckfast?
#herewego10inarow

Dods

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Nae been, look forward to your review...

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 14:24:12 PM »
I'm making the step up to 2 stars in October when me and Mrs. Neph make a visit to Andrew Fairlie's restaurant at Gleneagles. We are really looking forward to it and it'll be interesting to see what the difference is between 1 and 2 stars. We're also staying the night at Gleneagles as we are frightfully posh. I wonder if the bar sells Buckfast?

We're going in November for Anne's <insert significant number here> birthday. Also staying, despite it costing an arm and a leg. Mind you, you get more room for the money at 5 star Gleneagles compared to an ordinary hotel room in New York.