Author Topic: Aldi  (Read 12647 times)

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
Aldi
« on: August 31, 2009, 14:52:21 PM »
In order to cut our weekly food spend I decided to give Aldi a try. I was mightily impressed with the amount of food and drink we were able to get for under £60.

Ron was very pleased to buy a whacking great wedge of brie for 99p. We had this with their dry cured bacon (£1.79) and a crusty loaf and some cranberry sauce. Mmmm... :)

Their Snackrite brand of crisps have been a hit in our household - particularly the chilli tortillas and the cheese puffs. The 6 bag multipack of cheese puffs at 65p is a worthy alternative to Walker's brand Cheesy Wotsits. Asda has their 6 pack at almost twice the price - £1.28! Even their 3 for £3 deal is no contest.

Anyone try their beers and lagers? They are much cheaper than normal brands, but I am wary so I went with their deal on 4 pack Boddingtons (440ml tins) at £2.99.

We will shop there again now that we've started.

To me you're a Captain, but to a Captain, you're no Captain!

döm

• TNMS Member
Re: Aldi
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 17:28:45 PM »
People have a tendency to turn their noses up at Aldi and Lidl, imagining that lower prices equates to lower quality, but I've not found that at all.  They both sell great quality at cheap prices.  We have a Lidl virtually on our doorstep and we probably do more than 50% of our shopping there
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 18:26:59 PM »
Not a frequent visitor to either Lidl or Aldi but on those occasions that we have walked the aisles - found it to be excellent quality for the money - some of th e frozen fish is great value. Also been told that 'specials' appear now and again and you've got to be quick to take advantage.

spudley

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 19:50:40 PM »
I admit I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to food shopping. Mainly because I like to shop in a nice environment and peruse the aisles at my own leisure. However, since a Lidl opened nearby I've tried lots of their stuff and it's all been good or even better. I shall be getting my Xmas goose from there again this year. Have also bought lots if their 'specials' including  plants and general household stuff, all been good.
I will still be getting bits from M&S as long as I can afford it but will use Lidl/Aldi too. 

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 22:12:48 PM »
The chicken thighs are of better quality than those of both Asda and Waitrose! Very tasty with none of the 'bruising' you get with the lower priced chicken thighs and drums from Asda.

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 22:13:37 PM »
So has anyone tried their beers and lagers and wines? Any recommendations?

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 22:15:44 PM »
some of th e frozen fish is great value.

We got some sea bass fillets for £3.69.

The tinned red salmon at £1.35 is just amazing.

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »
So has anyone tried their beers and lagers and wines? Any recommendations?

Hi Terr, we do all our basic household food shopping at Aldi every week and have done for years. The quality is never in question and often as you have said better than the likes of Sainsbury, Waitrose, M&S etc. We also shop at Sainsbury, but only to pick up the items that are not available to Aldi, but with their range ever expanding, the need to do this is becomin les and less.

With regard to beer, I can highly recommend their Gallahad lager - it's 4% vol and knocks the pants off Carling, being much smoother and tastier not to mention cheaper!

With regard to red wine, I can recommend Baron St John, a lovely fruity ripe well rounded wine that can be quaffed on it's own or with fodder of any decription! ;D

Enjoy! :D
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 18:38:24 PM »
Thanks for that, Chris. I saw that Galahad lager but couldn't quite get myself to buy it as it was so unbelievably priced that I thought it must be shit. I seriously wished I had bought it because I ended up drinking Stella on Saturday night and was incapacitated all day Sunday as a result. Galahad at 3.9% seems the Way of  the future to me!

Topper

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Banging Like An 808
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »
Aldi also do some "Special Select" ales which are nice but cost a bit more. There is an Aldi just down the road and it is good for fruit and veg also. The thing I find funny is you can pick up your essential food and drink items and a chainsaw at the same time ;D.

Chris Quartly

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • "It's business time"
    • Some Other Sucker's Parade
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
Not much choice for us where we live, particularly not having a car at the moment, pretty much just restricted to Tesco.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:

Q's Comps

Some Other Suckers Parade

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Intense? Who? Me? ..... Thanks Geddy! :)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 15:39:01 PM »
Aldi also do some "Special Select" ales which are nice but cost a bit more. There is an Aldi just down the road and it is good for fruit and veg also. The thing I find funny is you can pick up your essential food and drink items and a chainsaw at the same time ;D.

HAHAHA. I had that very chainsaw in my hands shopping at Aldi last week.  ;D
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Tom Garrett

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Sigh
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 22:46:46 PM »
We use Aldi and Lidl all the time for basics, lots of their stuff is top class, even better than some of the more upmarket shops. Their wine selection is however horrific.
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 01:23:39 AM »
i have found aldi much better then lidl.

the beer and wine in aldi is really very good, and all the basics you need are top quality, i used to shop at waitrose, but i found that i was paying through the nose for stuff and i will not go in to tesco because i can not stand their world domination.
since i have moved to wales i shop at Harry Tuffins (nisa) and i go to the local butchers, i am just about to invest in a deep freezer and buy half a pig £2 a kg and a whole lamb £4 a kg, all will be locally farmed free range meat

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Intense? Who? Me? ..... Thanks Geddy! :)
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »
i am just about to invest in a deep freezer and buy half a pig £2 a kg and a whole lamb £4 a kg, all will be locally farmed free range meat

There is something strangely intimidating about that statement when I read it and then look over at your avatar Rufus. :o ;D ;)
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)