Manchester United Football Club 2017/18 season.

Author Topic: Manchester United Football Club 2017/18 season.  (Read 407 times)

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
Manchester United Football Club 2017/18 season.
« on: August 13, 2017, 21:02:59 PM »
Manchester United kicked off their Premier League campaign with a comprehensive and very pleasing 4 - 0 Home win against a West Ham United side who were always likely to struggle with key players such as Caroll and Lanzini missing. Tbh the Hammers never looked confident or capable of getting a positive result today and will want to put this result and performance behind them.

Two goals on his Man United Premier League and Old Trafford, home debut for Lukaku; who could (and probably should) have had a hattrick the first came from a great counter attacking break, courtesy of an initial interception and pass to Rashford by MOTM Nemanja Matic..who matched Rashfords drive forward and took the covering defender out of position, allowing Rashford to make what turned out to be a perfectly weighted through ball for the onrushing Lukaku to lash the ball home via the hapless Joe Hart's right hand post; his second goal was a free header from 6 yards out via a simple Mhkitaryan free kick, down to Hart's left. Rashford, who had stretched and threatened The Irons defence increasingly throughout the second half, was unlucky not to get on the score sheet and rattled Hart's post before giving way to Martial, who scored within 8 minutes of coming on, steering the ball past Hart's despairing left hand dive, having been assisted by Mhkitaryans superb first time through ball. United could have added several more but had to make do with Pogba's 20 yard curler under Hart.
Matic was superb, easily United's best player and deservedly awarded SKY's MOTM award.
It was a very good team performance today, strong and dominant in every area of the pitch but West Ham were poor tbf, although I'm sure the result would have been a lot closer had Bilic been able to name his strongest side. Still, you can only beat your opponents on the day. I'm sure that Mourinho will be pleased and encouraged but will know that far sterner tests await his players and will still be pestering Woodward for another player or two before the window closes.

United had 22 attempts on goal and scored from 4 of their 6 efforts on target, while West Ham had 9 attempts but were limited to a single shot on target, with Fernandes shooting powerfully but straight at de Gea via a slight Bailly deflection; Arnautovic hit the top of the crossbar with a header that de Gea had covered.

There were individual errors but I'm struggling to think of a poor overall performance from any United player today. Confidence breeds confidence and I'm expecting United will do the business next time out away to a Swansea side, hopefully without Sigurdsson, who really should be plying his trade with a top 6 club imho.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
Re: Manchester United Football Club 2017/18 season.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:07:03 AM »
Utd looked very powerful though hard to judge against WHU who were shocking. Utd should go close this season with that squad and the spend.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »
They badly missed Carroll and Lanzini and were very poor defensively after the first goal went in.
When you look at their forward line now they should be a top 10 side. Perhaps if they do bite the bullet and stump up the £40m for Carvalho they might realise that potential but if they don't I wouldn'tbe at all surprised to see Bilic go before the end of the season.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:14:03 AM by Bisto »

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »
Utd looked very powerful though hard to judge against WHU who were shocking. Utd should go close this season with that squad and the spend.

I still think they lack balance on the left flank (Perisic) and need cover for Valencia. It does seem odd that Jose would let Fosu-Mensah go on a season loan if he wasn't sure of bringing someone else in.

It seems as if Zlatan will be given a short term contract...which I would cautiously welcome. There is a danger that Jose will be tempted to rotate him with Lukaku in order to keep the Big Belgian fresh...I can see the point of Zlatan in the Champions League and F A Cup but I would worry about him costing us points in the Premier League with his poor conversion rate and that the goals from the rest of the attack would also dry up with him leading the line. Better to stary him and bring Lukaku off when the game is already won. He averaged 35 PL games a season over the past 5 years so fitness clearly isn't an issue. I'm not sure that Zlatan would be satisfied to play a bit part role however. He seems to have a very strong sense of destiny and it would be a fairy tale end to an incredible top flight career if he were to win the Champions League before going into the MLS retirement home. That seems wsy beyond United at the moment and I think most United fans main hopes and priority would be centred on trying to win the premier league title. The squad does look stronger but still look a couple of players short.

The amount of money being spent by the big clubs is crazy but United have one of the best wage expenditure to income ratios (under50%) and player sales have generated approximately £100m since last January so in effect the net spend is about £50m so far which makes it somewhat frustrating that we've seemingly lost out on players such as Perisic and Fabinho.

Matic and Lukaku were both great acquisitions but the jury will be out on Lindelof for a prolonged period as Mourinho will ease him in very gradually. He does have a few weaknesses and tbh I'm not sure that he will prove to be a better prospect than Tuanzebe but if Jose moves United toward 3-5-2 he could be accommodated sooner without being too exposed; I think we'd have been better off going for van Dyjk myself and recouping some of that fee by selling Smalling.

City are the team to beat this season with the strength of their squad but they have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot. I can't see Chelsea retaining the title this season and Arsenal will struggle to mount a title challenge whilst playing in the Europa League. Spurs first team is very strong but like Chelsea and Liverpool their squad lacks sufficient quality in depth and I think they will struggle playing their home games at Wembley. As for United's own champions league ambitions, I can't see us getting beyond the quarter finals. So, all things considered, this season is possobly United's best chance of winning the title.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:29:43 AM by Bisto »

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 00:13:31 AM »
A decent win after a dominant performance against a stalwart Leicester City defence.
The win came courtesy of a goalkeeping error from a slightly mishit shot by Rashford, who was uncharacteristically left completely unmarked in the Leicester box from a corner from Mhkitaryan...giving him another assist  and an offside goal...though the BT Sport consultant Ref in residence interpreted it as onside, due to an intentional playing of the ball (an attempted block by Morgan)
This was Lukaku's poorest game for United so far; he had a mere 25 touches and had his telegraphed and all too predictable penalty saved well, if illegally, by Schmeichel, who strayed a yard or more off his line before Lukaku struck the ball.
Pogba and Matic played well enough but I would have preferred to see us play 4-3-3 with Hererra provided a bit more bite and a high press which would allow Pogba licence to push further forward instead of taking half a dozen potshots from distance; I felt he played too deep against Leicester whose well marshaled defence were compact and sat deep. With so much pace it was clear that Shakespeare's plan was to soak up the pressure and hit us on the counter but their hitherto potent attack were kept very quiet by the very resolute Baily/Jones centre back pairing, long may it continue.
One thing that continues to cause conceen is the lack of width on on both flanks, which was very noticeable and Martial struggled to make an impression and stretch the defence in the way that Rashford usually does.
Schmeichel had a good game and United could and probably should have scored more to reflect their dominance;perhaps if Rashford had started the game again Martial might have once more reaped the benefit of taking on a tireder defence in the second half but 2 - 0 will do nicely. Excellent concentration and save by the virtually redundant de Gea at the death to secure our third consecutive clean sheet.
Its very, very early days but our main rivals have all dropped points and we already have a 10+ goal difference. We need to make thd most of our opening sequence of games and take maximum points before we start playing the likes of Liverpool and Spurs in October.

Must give a quick mention to Maguire who was Leicester's best outfield player by some distance and looks an absolute bargain and a great find. I would be happy to have him at United  but he deserves to be a regular starter and Jose already has too many decent options at centre back when they are all fit and on form.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
I was surprised that Pep didn't start a stronger side against United yesterday. I suppose it sends quite a strong message, ie that he thinks he can still get past Liverpool in the CL on Tuesday. But his fans might never have another chance to see City win the league by beating their old enemy.