Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 66841 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2745 on: January 11, 2018, 23:20:34 PM »
No action in the garage so far this evening. I have a cheap & cheerful infra red IP camera set up in there, trained on the four mousetraps.

All baited with chunks of blueberry & honey oat bars. I run the best mouse snack bar in the village. The service isn't great, but the food is to die for.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2746 on: January 12, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
Nice looking bike there James! Looks like you got a good deal on that.

Just done one of may favourite jobs - with help from Mrs S - putting on a new chain. I need a better chain splitter than the one on my multi-tool...

I won't bother getting rid of the mice from the outbuildings of Chateau Slikk. They might have made nests in my hiking boots and eaten through a bottle of Wet Lube and stripped the labels from various bottles and shredded the foam in my chain cleaning machine, but they're cute little beggars and living in the rolling Derbyshire hills there's an inexhaustible supply of them. What I can't understand is why they don't shred all my old Accountancy text books which are "stored" in the garage?

Chain splitter! Thing of the past, just put quick release on/ Makes life so simple, and easier for taking chain on and off to clean etc

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-spare-connecting-pin/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5300041860&kpid=5300041860&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv%7csJXeGKCsr_dc%7cmcrid%7c67090789502%7cmkw%7c%7cmmt%7c%7cmrd%7c5300041860uk%7cmslid%7c%7c&mkwid=sJXeGKCsr_dc&pcrid=67090789502&prd=5300041860uk&pgrid=17507338502&ptaid=aud-131695477502:pla-128000858222

The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2747 on: January 12, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
True, but you generally need to use a splitter to get the chain the right size in the first place of course.

The first and only time I'd ever taken a chain splitter out with me on a ride, on a hire bike in July, the chain broke. I bought a supposedly "light weight" one to take with me on epic rides but the one on my multitool is lighter once surgically removed from it, so I take that. A chain splitter and a gear cable for very long rides, just in case.

What I really need is a support car but I don't fancy my chances of persuading the Mrs to do that.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2748 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »
Never ever needed to mend a chain when out and abou, hopefully a result of decent care/buying decent chains/riding in the right gears and not doing much standing out of the saddle

getting through inners like no tomorrow though at the moment. Burst two last night trying to put my new turbo tyre on, it was such hard work I ended up having to use levers, and we know what happens more often than not when you do,

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2749 on: January 12, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
I've never been able to remove or replace a tyre without levers so far. I use nylon ones for minimal physical trauma.

The only times I've had a chain fail are on a poorly-maintained hire bike, and when I'd had a gear cable snap forcing me into a preposterous gear for an uphill stretch. I probably don't really need to take a splitter, even for a 200 miler. Maybe I'll rethink that.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2750 on: January 12, 2018, 16:20:41 PM »
Had a chain go on my first sportive, had no idea how to fix it despite having a multitool on me. Luckily the bloke behind me worked in a bike shop and fixed it for me on the spot TDF style.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2751 on: January 12, 2018, 16:56:28 PM »
impressive. Bike community, bar a few  self obsessed pricks, is full of stories like that where people help without a second thought. What goes around comes around.
I always ask if people are OK if they are off the bike or mending something.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2752 on: January 12, 2018, 18:47:29 PM »
I was able to repair a snapped chain on a hire bike in Wales half way up a mountain, thanks to having a splitter on me. Couldn't believe my luck really, I'd never ever taken one with me before. I suppose not having the chain break in the first place would have been luckier.

Just brought the second Boardman home from Derby! I definitely have done well there. Has a superficial scrape to the paint to the rear of the frame but otherwise it looks barely used. I'm sure the tyres are the originals and haven't seen a lot of action. The cassette is squeaky, shiny clean. To my surprise as I was about to wheel it out, the bloke presented to me a bag of stuff including a pair of near-mint Shimano SPD-SL PDR-550 pedals (same as I have on the Planet X) and a natty little Boardman tyre pump.

I shall upgrade the Cannondale with these new (resin) pedals, it has (alloy) PDR-540s on at the moment. I was quite likely to buy a pair anyway, and they cost £50 a go.

I suppose I should feel guilty for depriving someone who actually needed a bike of a bargain, but life's too short. Good times!

Always feel a bit uneasy with a bike strapped to the back of the car. The bike carrier works well (fixes firmly to the rear door with nylon straps and metal hooks) but I always feel like I'm likely to twat a pedestrian or parked vehicle with a protruding bike wheel.

The roads looked dry-ish from the car and I'm hoping to get a 30-odd mile run out tomorrow. If not Leicestershire, then Watopia. Ride on!

Still no more dead mice though.

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2753 on: January 12, 2018, 19:47:03 PM »
getting through inners like no tomorrow though at the moment. Burst two last night trying to put my new turbo tyre on, it was such hard work I ended up having to use levers, and we know what happens more often than not when you do,

I've found that leaving the tyre in a warm room makes it a lot easier to re fit inners plus I don't use levers ,just brute strength ..
First full week of cycling to work doing roughly 10 miles to and from, all great fun but the bike in question is filthy ..

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2754 on: January 12, 2018, 19:53:45 PM »

Chain splitter! Thing of the past, just put quick release on/ Makes life so simple, and easier for taking chain on and off to clean etc

Got KMC Quick links on, but I'm buggered if I can get them off.
Like Slim says, you still need a chain splitter to get the chain to the right length.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2755 on: January 12, 2018, 21:21:31 PM »
Got KMC Quick links on, but I'm buggered if I can get them off.

Had the same problem, bought a tool - I believe on the advice of our very own Old Dog a few dozen pages back!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CW91010

Nice and easy, works well.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2756 on: January 13, 2018, 17:14:14 PM »
^^^^^
Why does cycling require the endless spending of money?

Today, I avoided going up high, even though there was no likelihood of ice. Worse than that, it looked foggy up on the tops and my lights are too puny for fog. In any case, I had to go visit my ailing father to take up some Paracetamol. He's just been diagnosed with COPD and been given a Salbutamol inhaler, oh how I wish I'd borrowed it...

Even without heading for the "proper" hills, I managed a 461ft climb up the Marsh Lane drag and a drag it is. Despite it being my second slowest time up it, I'm 3 out of 15 for the day, beating a bunch from Sitwell CC, although its seems as Saturday is their leisure ride.

Another 35 miles chalked up. I was hoping for 40, but it'll do.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1355178503
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2757 on: January 13, 2018, 17:53:04 PM »
22 miles for me, overdressed and got fairly hot by the end of the ride.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2758 on: January 13, 2018, 18:29:05 PM »
I would normally do a Twycross on a Saturday, as tradition demands - but as I haven't had many cycling opportunities so far this month, the roads were dry-ish and the daylight hours a bit longer now, I thought I'd have a stab at the January Fondo. I took the Boardman, or Boardman I as it shall henceforth be known.

I headed out east toward Rempstone as I often do for these longer routes, with the intention of continuing east to Harby, a village in the extreme NE of the county, then coming back the same way. But I approached Rempstone Road by a different method over the first few miles this time. Playing with the Strava route builder's "minimum elevation" mode had suggested a route through Thringstone, which I'd never really thought of despite it being relatively simple. I think it cuts off a small fraction of a mile, as well. So I did that. Not very interesting really but a bit of a change.

My minimum elevation studies had also told me that a route through Willoughby, Upper Broughton and Long Clawson would involve less climbing than the roughly parallel route to the south that I normally take. So I did that as well. Unfortunately this wasn't quite so successful, the road was a bit scrubby and muddy in parts, as well as being a bit turny. I had intended to incorporate this stretch into my 200-miler so it was useful research. I'll give it a miss. It's not worth the climbing it saves (not much really).

Anyway I eventually reached Harby and kept on going, in the assumption that I'd find a right turn down to the usual road I take, and come back that way. I knew this would cost me a brutal climb but I really didn't fancy coming back the same way. However consulting Google Maps a few miles later revealed that the route I'd taken had curved northward, and I was in fact now heading slightly NW. So I stopped and plotted a route down near Eastwell, to join my usual route. This actually involved heading back the way I'd come for about three miles.

After I'd passed through Harby I started to feel a touch bollocksed - I'd deliberately under-nourished myself slightly in the hope of trimming away some of the weight I put on over Crimbo - and I simply didn't feel like I could make it up the shocker of a hill now in front of me. I stopped at a farm gate to shed some urine ballast and consumed half a flapjack and an orange gel, washing them down with some energy drink. I waited a few minutes for the carbs to kick in. The hill was a bit of a struggle, but the prize of turning onto a friendly, familiar road at the top of it bucked my spirits up and I was fine after that.

Quite a pleasant run back home along Six Hills Lane, listening to the footy on 5 Live. Much better than the way I'd come. At Belton, about 6 miles from home, I took a left to come back the way I'd come through Thringstone. It doesn't really seem to save a lot of climbing and barely saves any distance but that stretch of Ashby Road can be a bit of a boring slog after a long trip so it made a nice change if nothing else.

67.5 and that takes the January tally to 138, already more than the January 2017 total (a paltry 113. I suppose the weather must have been even worse than this year).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1355124929

Will see if I can do a Fondo in every month of 2018. Nice little challenge.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #2759 on: January 14, 2018, 16:46:03 PM »
Been putting off going out for weeks but ventured out for the first ride of the year this morning. Only 28 miles but that was plenty in the cold (little in the way of wind though).
In an effort to get my mojo back I've set the mag trainer up in the spare room. I can only really manage 20 to 30 mins before acute boredom sets in (even with headphones on). A few weeks on I should be feeling a bit more 'cycle fit'