Author Topic: Football World Cup  (Read 197 times)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
Football World Cup
« on: June 13, 2018, 16:22:28 PM »
Thought I may as well start a thread for any World Cup chat.

First up - attention is drawn to the triple header hosting of the 2026 Tournament - Canada, Mexico and USA - expanded to 48 teams from this years 32 - also wondering as the host nation automatically qualifies I guess that means 3 Countries are straight in......

Turning back to this years - I see Spain have just sacked their manager - great timing guys!!

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Re: Football World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 20:07:19 PM »
A mere curtain-raiser for when the National League starts again.

Pfft.

;)
HYFTOUR30

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 20:41:38 PM »
England to win it. You heard it here first.

I think I must be mixing my medication. Nurse the curtains please.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Blastzone

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Another Jack Daniels please
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 20:56:38 PM »
I think you have a good chance this time . The most open tournament in a long time and impressed with Southgate keeping it low key . .I also got England in our work sweep ,so if you win ,it will ease the pain a bit 😯
Mon the Jambos

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 23:19:19 PM »
I have a sneaking feeling that the French will come away with the trophy this time round...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:58:57 AM »
Struggling to summon up any enthusiasm for it this time, and it starts today. Will have to start studying some form as I'm in a few pay to enter super 6 mini leagues.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
I have a sneaking feeling that the French will come away with the trophy this time round...

Agreed.  Nobody seems to be talking about them, but they look the strongest they’ve been since they won it.
HYFTOUR30

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
France vs Germany final?
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »
I don't think Deschamps is up to it.  Incredible amount of talent at his disposal and the team never seems to perform at the level it should.  Hope I'm wrong of course.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
Biggest win in an opening match since 1934. Could be an omen for a good tournament.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
Pleased with that 5th goal.  I had a small bet on Golovin being anytime scorer.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 22:02:03 PM »
Fabulous game between Portugal and Spain.

Even Danny Murphy’s embarrassingly clueless co-commentary couldn’t spoil it.
HYFTOUR30

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
Fabulous game between Portugal and Spain.

It was a great game to watch and would have made a worthy final.

Murphy was right, Isco was superb but Ronaldo is an incredible performer; he is a massive bell end but you have to acknowledge his absolute will to win and be the best.

There was so much quality and creativity throughout the Spainish midfield, their one touch, intricate passing was a joy to watch and Ramos was spraying long range passes around like a Pirlo or a Scholes. Conversely, for all their hard work and organisation, Ronaldo was the only creative player making things happen for Portugal;  whenever they managed to regain possession on the break he was their one genuine game changer and represented their only realistic chance of getting anything out of that game imho.

It was an absolutely enthralling game, played at a good pace, packed with so much incident and, despite Spain's obvious superiority in possession, the result was in doubt right up till the final whistle and could have gone either way. Costa's first goal was suberbly taken; Nacho looked a bit suspect at the back but what a cracking goal he scored, it surely ranks right up there with the best goals in World Cup history. de Gea had a mare for the second goal, apart from that he had nothing to do the entire game except pick the ball out of the net. I hope he puts that behind him and has a great tournament, he is the best keeper in the world and deserves the chance to prove it to a world wide audience.

Ronaldo was switched on and up for it the entire game, bought the penalty and didnt bottle it, ok he got lucky with the second (who could have forseen the massive rick by de Gea happening?!), but what a goal to complete his 51st career hattrick! I'm sure he genuinely wants Portugal to win the tournament but I'm equally sure he wants to beat Messi to the Ballon dor and wouldn't it be fascinating to see what happened if Portugal and Argentina should be drawn together as the tournament progresses?!

In the end Ronaldo's movement, lay offs, runs and finishing were the difference between a hard fought draw and what would otherwise have been a comfortable win for Spain.

Both teams should progress to the quarter finals but if Ronaldo has an off day or misses a game in the knockout stages against quality opposition I can't see Portugal getting further than the semis, on that evidence Spain definitely could though.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:43:33 AM by Bisto »
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »

Ronaldo is an incredible performer; he is a massive bell end but you have to acknowledge his absolute will to win and be the best.

sums it up extremely well....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
Even though they lost yesterday, I thought Peru played well, but just couldn't finish. France were poor, as were Argentina, but you don't win the tournament in the group games.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 16:34:55 PM by zoony »