• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Simple Pleasure of the Day - 80

Started by Chris Quartly, November 19, 2015, 19:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteBy coincidence I dug out an old copy of Personal Computer World from 1990 an hour later and there was an ad for a 1024x768 monitor for £270.
OK, they dropped the ball with Covid...but you gotta love the planet-choking Chinese ;D

QuoteTrains in the sarf-east. Speeds up to 140mph; punctual; loads of available seats; terrific.
That's because they're all rich down there and can swan round in Mercs, Audis and Beemers.

Whereas up North you're all poor and fat and can't afford personal transportation so weigh down the available publuc transport :)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Finally remembering my login details here ;D

Actually yesterday but...
We've been mulling over the purchase of a treadmill for a while and a few weeks ago I started renewing my search online. I'd resigned myself to paying well over £2K for a decent, gym-quality model possibly from Nordic Track or Life Fitness. I wanted to buy from John Lewis as I had a £500 long-service award from work that could be converted to a voucher.
Last night I noticed that John Lewis had a Black Friday offer on a Pro-Form model - £400 discount on the original price of £1899. Having checked the spec and features it looks just the job. The LCD screen is a little small at 10" but it has some great additional features (including a tablet holder, bluetooth speakers and cooling fan). Reviews were very positive.
Ordered late last night, delivered in 14 days. Only problem is finding a space in the house for it! It will be going in the small bedroom which already has two road bikes (hanging on the wall), another road bike on a mag trainer, an electronic drum kit, hoover, ironing board, clothes airers, cycle kit, skateboard kit, food storage.... It will be a challenge to squeeze it in but I'm sure it is possible. At least it is a folding model (but still occupies 1m sq). It will probably stay in the box for a few weeks as I've decided to decorate the room it's going in.
I've had gym membership at a local health club for years but got thoroughly fed up with Covid restrictions so haven't been for ages. My visits always included a 5km run on the treadmill.  Due to sporadic closures, my membership extension ends at the end of Jan....I won't be renewing - just need to find space at home for a jacuzzi, steam room and pool! I'll miss those but at around £90/month I was wasting an awful lot of money by my irregular visits.
I've not run regularly for a long time as I am unable to run on the road without causing injury (I have no such issues on a cushioned treadmill set on a slight incline though).
I'm hoping I've got a bargain, feels like it. Excited!

This morning, I turned an annoyance into a Simple Pleasure! As part of my recovery from elbow dislocation I've been referred for some physio. I'd previously asked if this could be arranged at my local NHS physio in Witney. Last night I noticed a text on my phone confirming an appointment for next Tuesday at East Oxford Health Centre. What a pain in the arse! Apparently no free appointments locally.
I've met a wonderful guy in his 70s (at our local micro-pub), Tony. A Camra member, what he doesn't know about real ale is not worth knowing! He's great company and me and Clare have a lovely natter with him when we meet..over a pint or two. Anyway, there's a new micro-pub in Headington (Tile Sop Ale House), not too far from the health centre which I recently read about in a micro-pub periodical. Called the man this morning and we will be meeting up there at 12 noon after my appointment. Probably wander into Oxford afterwards for one at The Blenheim.
I'm really enjoying my taste of retirement!

The offending candidate has been taken outside and shot.

Live music.

In particular Marillion last night at the Hammersmith Apollo. Just brilliant and life affirming.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

QuoteLive music.

In particular Marillion last night at the Hammersmith Apollo. Just brilliant and life affirming.
It was rather excellent wasn't it? Had a rare sighting of Rascal Houdi after the gig too!!
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

This photo from the Get Back footage turned up on Twitter today.  But what's most interesting to me is the building opposite, visible on the left. If you look on Street View, it's not there. Demolished and replaced by a more elegant terrace with shops at the base.

By the way, the young chap with the mod haircut in the striped blazer and orange shirt near the top of the shot is Alan Parsons.

QuoteIt was rather excellent wasn't it? Had a rare sighting of Rascal Houdi after the gig too!!

I thought you might be there. Mark did both nights.
You can relive the last 5 minutes of Saturdays gig here

QuoteI thought you might be there. Mark did both nights.
You can relive the last 5 minutes of Saturdays gig here

Bumped into both Rascal and Oz on the Friday, which was a nice bonus to a cracking evening  :)

Just had my booster jab this afternoon.
Cycled up to the vaccination centre (well this is Cambridge) an hour before they closed and asked if there was any chance. Was Jabbed before I had a chance to sit down...

QuoteBumped into both Rascal and Oz on the Friday, which was a nice bonus to a cracking evening  :)

Hmmm🤔 Do you think that gig will be added to "The Space" eventually? I followed the link but didn't fancy paying £20 on top of the subscription fee.
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister