Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 51108 times)

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2460 on: September 07, 2017, 17:11:34 PM »
Is the Bkool good?, looking for something for the winter.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2461 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
It is a very good machine indeed, you can pick it up from Sigma for about £330

I have 3 months free with the bkool software itself, but will probably then switch to Zwift, which has less tracks, but is literally going places

Did Col du Golibier last night. Found myself in the granny gears pretty quickly!!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1173148386

The new songs are an abomination

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2462 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
So do you have an iPad in front of you showing the route?

Does Bkool work with Zwift?

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2463 on: September 08, 2017, 14:36:44 PM »
Yes and yes

Well, its an old laptop actually, as there tends to be a fair amount of sweat!

All you need is a decent internet connection

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2464 on: September 08, 2017, 14:50:39 PM »
So does it dynamically adjust the resistance according to the gradients on the route you do?

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2465 on: September 08, 2017, 16:55:52 PM »
yep!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2466 on: September 08, 2017, 21:33:45 PM »
Very nice!

Despite getting off to a bright start last weekend it's been a slow cycling month in the main, partly due to the weather. And it chucked it down intermittently today, but the rainfall radar suggested I'd probably get away with a run out down through Twycross after work. I supposed conditions would be a bit puddly, but in fact I didn't encounter any unavoidable standing water the whole way round. It did rain very lightly and very briefly near Snarestone.

Started off a bit blowy and cold, but I wrapped up warm and enjoyed the late evening sunshine. The wind died down after an hour. Came back along Gibbet Lane and stopped at the bench for a minute. After that the light grew dim quite quickly. Switched my front light on (actually an LED torch attached to the bike with one of those rubber strappy things that will fasten just about anything to your handlebars) only to find that it didn't actually have a battery in it. Fortunately the rear light worked. Put my foot down a bit and got home while I could still see the road though the dark section along Heather Lane, shaded by foliage was a bit spooky.

Thought the hybrid would be a bit of a chore but it was fine. Quite enjoyed myself. I don't remember seeing another cyclist the whole time I was out, but I did witness some bizarre driving. A guy in a white BMW overtook me near Twycross, giving me the widest berth I've ever had from a passing car. I was mentally applauding him for his consideration when I realised he wasn't going to pull in again. He stayed on the wrong side of the white line for about 120 metres in front of me, which concerned me somewhat as he was doing about 70mph and approaching a curve. But he pulled in just in time to avoid being hit by an oncoming car.

I was also overtaken by a woman in one of those small Fiats. She gave me plenty of room, but in the same moment she was overtaken by a speeding white van, on a not-particularly wide stretch of the A444. I believe that's the only time I've ever been overtaken by two vehicles simultaneously.

Shame we've reached the point where I can't go out for a decent long ride after work without coming back in the dark. Oh well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1174549103

24.83, 122 this month.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2467 on: September 09, 2017, 13:41:24 PM »
I thought I was going to get away with a Twycross run before the wet weather turned up this morning, so I took the Boardman rather than the hybrid. However, I didn't get away with it. I suffered a couple of showers and a bout of persistent rain. Very nice before the precipitation made its presence felt, though. Very autumnal, with sunny intervals.

Interestingly when I got to Carlton on the way back up it was evident that it hadn't rained there at all - the roads were bone dry. But not for long.

If I'd stayed in bed another half hour I definitely wouldn't have bothered, but still. No point having three road bikes if you aren't going to get one of them wet from time to time. I assaulted it thoroughly with GT85 on my return and gave it a good rub down.

Pleased to have got a run down to Twycross in, anyway. I don't feel like I've had a proper Saturday without a ride down that way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1175453676

25.2, 147 this month. 3312 this year, now.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2468 on: September 09, 2017, 17:44:29 PM »
Very heavy on/off showers here today. Decided to start preparing the winter bike, think I might try changing the bearings for something to do. The local bike shop quoted a full service as £80 plus parts, so I'm going to try and do a full overhaul on both bikes over the next week or so and only take them to the bike shop if i balls anything up.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2469 on: September 09, 2017, 20:44:47 PM »
A tad pre-emptive perhaps, but Sombrero to Chris Froome. I got back from my ride fully expecting to find he'd lost time on the Angliru, but no, he came third on it. Once again Sombrero.

Now, I'm not a morning cyclist. I'm not much of a cyclist at any time. But, the amount of showers around this morning, made me think that it could only get worse this afternoon for when I tried a bit of afternoon cycling. Lo and behold though, after a heavy shower passed through it cleared up and I got out for three hours at half past three, only catching the edge of a thunderstorm.
I had planned on doing the climb through Cutthorpe three times to try and get some hills into my legs, but only did it twice, yet I wish I'd gone for the third as my second time was the better one. What I do know, is that I enter Tortoise mode when the gradient hits 7% and to think in the Vuelta the Angliru is 12.5km @ an average of 10% with 20+% ramps and the pros race up it...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1176034066
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2470 on: September 09, 2017, 21:05:20 PM »
Great speed Nick, big distance and elevation.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2471 on: September 09, 2017, 21:31:03 PM »
Thanks Nick. :)

If I'd not had seven weeks out with a fractured clavicle I'd hope for something quicker, but it's "good" to be heading for the hills again. I don't like the uphill bit, but it's worth it when you get to the top! Looking back I'm not too far behind where I was this time last year speed wise. Which is good.

As Greg Lemond said: "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 21:33:07 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2472 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »
https://www.strava.com/activities/1177492315#kudos

St Giles Hopsice ride yesterday

Vey windy!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2473 on: September 13, 2017, 13:42:42 PM »
This vile, unsettled weather is chewing up the remaining daylight evenings. Still hoping to get a Yorkshire trip in though, even if it means coming back (and setting off) in the dark.

The current favoured route involves skirting Nottingham to the west, then up through Mansfield and past a place that's somehow called Rhodesia.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2474 on: September 13, 2017, 21:44:47 PM »
and past a place that's somehow called Rhodesia.
Which isn't too far from Wales :)
Legend in my own Mind