Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 5807 times)

Fishy

• TNMS Member
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 22:44:21 PM »
Pertwee rules
From the Land of Honest Men.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2013, 21:55:29 PM »
Pertwee rules

Agreed, with Eccleston second.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
Agreed, with Eccleston second.

would put Tom Baker/tennant tied for second...
From the Land of Honest Men.

Nulli Secundus

• TNMS Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
Tom Baker 1st David Tennant 2nd

Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 16:06:25 PM »
I don't  like the modern Doctors, too modern and far too human, tok much emotion and personal information on display...a Timelord needs to be reticent, otherworldly, mysterious and paternalistic not good looking, metrosexual and on the pull

Nulli Secundus

• TNMS Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2013, 21:45:13 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on which Doctor you grew up with.

That said my two boys both always say that Tom Baker was their best Doctor. They also like watching the ones before Tom Baker when they can.
Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 23:12:57 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on which Doctor you grew up with.

That said my two boys both always say that Tom Baker was their best Doctor. They also like watching the ones before Tom Baker when they can.

I just about recall Troughton as the Doctor, I wish I'd seen more of him as what I do remember was the suggestion of a whimsical sense of humour...something that was absent from Pertwee's portrayal. Baker's Doctor had the added advantage of being shot in colour and, trivial as it may seem, the jacket, scarf, hat, hushpuppies and fondness for jelly babies were almost as appealing as the persona. He was brilliant, it was a career defining role and he is at least as deserving of the national treasure status as Brian Blessed for that role alone.

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2014, 18:56:56 PM »
Well another era starts tonight and I'm quite giddy with excitement. Off to see it at the cinema this evening. Will report back later.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 20:05:25 PM »
Don't like the look of the Dr.

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2014, 02:08:20 AM »
5 episodes in and I'm not convinced. The stories are a bit lack-luster, I don't like Clara's forced importance as a companion - especially as she isn't that strong or likeable. And I can't really accept Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, mostly because I think he's too famous. Every time he says "I'm the Doctor" I think; no, you're Malcolm Tucker - now please tell those Daleks to feck off.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2015, 20:33:56 PM »
Episode 1 of the new series just aired. Wow! That was Doctor Who back to brilliant form!

Valen

• TNMS Member
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2015, 14:33:23 PM »
Going to see if I can hold out till end of series and then binge.....but the trailer for ep2 is piling on the temptation to give in.

Been a fan since the late 60s - I can just remember the last few Troughton eps, but more vividly recall Pertwee and Baker (Genesis of the Daleks was the first one I saw in colour), and have to say I'm really enjoying Capaldi's turn.

I struggled a bit with Smith because of his youth. It was a nice idea to break with tradition but unfortunately it meant that the whole vibe for his tenure tended to be more childish (timey wimey etc). I enjoyed them a bit more on a dvd binge, but feel the show has raised the bar again with Capaldi.

Perhaps it's a (re)generation thing - I'm of the generation that expects the Doctor to be middle aged and cranky.

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2017, 23:46:49 PM »
Might as well bring this discussion back in again as we've just had another series air, and a new Doctor announced.

Firstly then; series 10 - wow! From a show that I thought was in steady decline they really pulled it out of the bag this series. Each week gradually improving on the last. The show hasn't been this consistent since Matt Smith's first back in 2010. The major fault I can find with this series was leaking the news that the original Cybermen and John Simm's Master were returning as the episode where they were revealed was a huge anti-climax as we know the shock reveals before they happened. Peter Capaldi was finally able to give us the Doctor he wanted as he wasn't hampered by Jenna Coleman's irritating Clara. Looks like his finale is set to be pretty good with him being joined by David Bradley playing the William Hartell Doctor.

Which brings me on to...

They've cast a woman as the next Doctor. Personally I'm against the idea of the Doctor gender-changing (I thought it was a daft idea changing the Master to a woman, as brilliant as Michelle Gomez was she could easily have been a different character) and I really think that new show-runner Chris Chibnall's writing for the series has always been mediocre at best. Could well be that my favourite tv show of all time could see it's death-knell next year.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
Got no issues with a female Dr - just not sure the one chosen is best suited to the role - but need to give her a chance before final judgement is made. Phoebe Waller-Bridge would have been the better choice imo but rumour has it she's busy on a Star Wars or Star Wars spin-off movie...?

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
I presume when the new Doctor gets a moment alone in the Tardis, they'll take a peek inside their pants, who wouldn't?

Not seen it in years tbh, Tennant/Eccleston