• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Dune (2021)

Started by Reg, October 23, 2021, 12:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One word review: SPELLBINDING.

(Seen at the IMAX)

That was how I felt throughout, and at the end - under Villeneuve's spell. He had well and truly cast his cinematic magic on me.

I am happy to do spoilers as I figure the vast majority of you will either have read the book, or seen the 1984 film, or the TV mini-series.

After the relative disappointment of Blade Runner : 2049, (visually stunning, storywise so-so) and being a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune (I have read it a number of times), I was a bit apprehensive about going to see this.

Villeneuve, at least in my eyes, has very much nailed this, and got his stripes back. This film is wonderful - I saw it at the Imax of course.

I do have minor quibbles as to how they have handled the story BUT it didn't spoil my enjoyment.

As you would expect from Villeneuve, visually this is a total triumph. Astounding. And the way he scales up from the intimate, to the breathtakingly huge scale scenes is a joy to behold. I think I could sit and talk to someone about this film for hours.

Kudos too to Hans Zimmer for providing some quite complex and stirring musical accompaniment. The use of voice (in the music) is quite remarkable too.

Anyway, my biggest worry now is - will part 2 ever be made? I have grave doubts myself.

I won't bother with cast / acting apart from a shout out to Jason Momoa who clearly revels in the part of Dancan Idaho and plays it with gusto - extremely likeable.

Overall, there were numerous goosebump moments, and the occasional near-tear in my eyes.

Fantastic.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

QuoteOne word review: SPELLBINDING.

Anyway, my biggest worry now is - will part 2 ever be made? I have grave doubts myself..
Nice review Reg, I'm going to see this on Monday evening but not at an IMAX. Where does the first part finish?

Didn't they shoot the second part with the first? If not that seems a very strange decision to me.
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

Sadly they didn't do parts 1 and 2 back-to-back.

I have read reports today indicating that the film is doing really well on opening weekend so far, and also some reports that say that film is on the verge of being 'green lit', or indeed is in the process of being 'green lit' for go ahead.

Villeneuve is apparently really keen to get going. Of course, it could prove difficult logistally now getting all the principal actors back together again - especially as a lot of them are A-listers.

Oh yes - where does it end? With Paul and Jessica having had their encounter in the desert with the Fremen and Paul having bested Jamis. Then the final scene is Paul and Jessica going off with the Fremen, on their way to their new home in the desert. It makes sense (to me) to take a break here - with Paul just having met Chani, and on the cusp of beginning his new future and becoming, well, you know. And of course, the start of preparing the fight back against the Harkonnen.

More spoilers - so far, we haven't met any of the Imperial clan (no Emperor Shaddam IV, no Princess Irulan), and perhaps more interestingly, there has been no hint of Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen as yet (I wish I could get the image of Sting in a loincloth out of my head!).

Anyway, I am pretty sure I am going to have a repeat viewing of this next week. I hope you enjoy it Andrew.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

October 24, 2021, 01:36:25 AM #3 Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:52:13 AM by Bisto
QuoteSadly they didn't do parts 1 and 2 back-to-back.

I have read reports today indicating that the film is doing really well on opening weekend so far, and also some reports that say that film is on the verge of being 'green lit', or indeed is in the process of being 'green lit' for go ahead.

Villeneuve is apparently really keen to get going. Of course, it could prove difficult logistally now getting all the principal actors back together again - especially as a lot of them are A-listers.

Oh yes - where does it end? With Paul and Jessica having had their encounter in the desert with the Fremen and Paul having bested Jamis. Then the final scene is Paul and Jessica going off with the Fremen, on their way to their new home in the desert. It makes sense (to me) to take a break here - with Paul just having met Chani, and on the cusp of beginning his new future and becoming, well, you know. And of course, the start of preparing the fight back against the Harkonnen.

More spoilers - so far, we haven't met any of the Imperial clan (no Emperor Shaddam IV, no Princess Irulan), and perhaps more interestingly, there has been no hint of Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen as yet (I wish I could get the image of Sting in a loincloth out of my head!).

Anyway, I am pretty sure I am going to have a repeat viewing of this next week. I hope you enjoy it Andrew.

Thanks Reg, I'm sure I will...Ive only read the first 3 Dune books, a long time ago, but have probably watched the Lynch film a dozen times as well as the mini series.....really looking forward to seeing it on Monday

Show times at Bradford's IMAX aren't terribly convenient so may have to try the one at Leeds's White Rose Centre instead.
The keys to happiness

I'm a massive fan of Dune (have read the book over 20 times and Frank Herbert's complete series probably 5 or 6 times) but I wasn't exactly blown away as Reg appears to be, I still don't know what to make of it after seeing it on Friday afternoon !!

Due to no definite Part II Villeneuve probably felt he could leave out the Corrino household other than mention them in exchanges between characters and the major disappointment for me is that we didn't get to see the Guild Navigators (would have liked to have seen Villeneuve's take on folding space) other than the figures in the background at the hand over of Dune.

Maybe my gripes will be adressed in a Directors Cut as he could go back and fill in spaces with characters cast in Part II if he gets the go ahead to complete his envisioned film trilogy.

I definitely need to go and see it again, probably in smaller Vue type setting.
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

Here's a quote from Mark Kermode's review which stood out for me:

QuoteVilleneuve's astonishing visual sensibility. From ornithopters that flit like dragonflies to vast spaceships that glint in the mist, these are the kind of sights that Roy Batty rhapsodised about in his dying moments in Blade Runner.

What he said.

October 26, 2021, 02:41:15 AM #8 Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:51:03 AM by Bisto
I enjoyed it for the sheer scale of the visual effects...and the musical score was also good...but...like GlezgaRed I really missed, well...quite a lot actually; the Third Stage Guild Navigators, and Feyd ("...lovely Feydh...")....and a lot more besides....

Villneuve's version is more gritty and far less stylish (or heavily stylised) than Lynch's and I found myself missing the absent detail and lines of the same characters in the original...All the characters were more mundane in the remake and, consequently, a lot less memorable; certainly a lot less grand, (in places ott), glamorous, sexy, disgusting and camp...Charlotte Rampling had absolutely none of the gravitas, danger, or ( sexy, domjnatrix Nun allure) of Sian Phillips as the Reverend Mother (or is that just me?🤐), Gaius Helen Mohiam, whilst Francesca Annis was infinitely more sexy than Rebecca Ferguson's Lady Jessica, Paul's mother ....in fact only the swashbuckling Mamoa and, a perfectly cast Batista, as Beast Raban Harkonen (briefly), really grabbed my attention....Josh Brolin was decent as Gurney Halackl and Javier Bardem, Oscar Isaac and Stellan SkarsgĂ„rd were all ok but very understated; that's some big acting talent, and I felt they could have made their roles a lot more memorable...but that's no doubt down to the Direction they received...

I did like the way the Fremen and Sardukar were realised though.

In conclusion, it was a decent, if not particularly remarkable, (for me) remake, and I have to say I much prefer the original,; hopefully the second part will be made and be a lot more expansive, with more fleshed out characters and bigger performances. The first few books are brilliant and I'll certainly look out for any sequels/prequals

I've seen it too and tend to agree with GlezgaRed and Bisto. The spectacle and scale were magnificent but it lacked the charm of the 1984 version. To be frank, I don't think any of the actors improved on those in David Lynch's version (I know Lynch chose many of his go-to actors for Dune 1984, but everyone then was spot on for me). I particularly didn't like the choices for Stilgar and the Reverend Mother.

Overall, it was satisfactory, but not memorable at all - I doubt I'd watch it again. Also, I mistakenly thought that this movie would cover the first book in full - so now it's even more important that future parts are made (which is in no way certain). 6.5/10

Looks like I am in a minority here, but I still loved it. Maybe I'm still in an "everything's brilliant!" mode as I hadn't been to the cinema in such a long time doe to Covid.

I think my biggest criticism was the lack of introduction to / getting to know Dr. Yueh - hardly any introduction to him, or any mention of his Imperial conditioning before he goes about his nefarious deeds and undoing of the Atreides camp.

Thufir Hawat and Piter de Vries - no explanation or clue as to their mentat capabilites other than a rolling of Thufir's eyes when asked a question. The background to the mentats is part of the rich tapestry of the Dune world-building. The reason that Mentats have come into being - trained human calculators, is due to the banning of computers in the past. I guess it is hard to explain this kind of thing without some kind of forced conversation, or voice-overs / narration (the voice of the book as it were). 

Hardly any off-world introductions at all apart from the Atreides home world of Caladan, and a couple of token visits to Giedi Prime (Harkonnen) and Salusa Sekundus (Sardaukar). Actually thinking about it - why the Sardaukar scene at all? It was kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. We could have had a visit to House Corrino instead. Maybe they ran out of funds for costumes!

Anyhoo - I did read somewhere that this film would divide the audience and I guess it has judging by the views on here.

I also wonder if the go-ahead had been given for parts 1 and 2 to be filmed concurrently - just how different this one would have been.

If nothing else it's made me want to watch a restored version of the original on the big screen.
It'll never happen, and even if it did, it would be in Metropolitan London rather than out here in the sticks. 
I'll see if there's a restored 4k disc out instead

I've read a few reports now that part 2 has been given the official go-ahead, for an October 2023 release.

QuoteI've read a few reports now that part 2 has been given the official go-ahead, for an October 2023 release.

Yep, definitely getting a Part II and hopefully he will then be allowed to also make Dune: Messiah which he planned to do.
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

November 12, 2021, 18:44:43 PM #14 Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 18:49:53 PM by Matt2112
Unfortunately I missed this at all the local IMAX theatres due to various things but, just down the road from Bradford's National Science & Media Museum, I made my first visit to The Light, a boutique style kind of place; I watched the film in a cosy auditorium with a mere five rows, but which had a satisfactorily large screen and bone-rattling PA system.

As for the film itself, I'm broadly with Reg on this one - I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish.

Denis Villeneuve has been one of cinema's most formidably talented directors for quite a few years now and he's the perfect choice for this.

Most know about my fanboi-ism for David Lynch, but for me this 2021 version finally rights all the wrongs of the complete mad mess that was Lynch's version, over which of course he had hardly any creative control and has subsequently disowned it to the extent he had his name removed from the infamous TV-edit's credits.

Very much looking forward to Villeneuve's sequel. :)
The keys to happiness