• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Free Guy

Started by Reg, October 14, 2021, 23:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enormously entertaining feel-good film.

The Lego Movie meets Ready Player One, if you will.

This is one of those films that will take repeat viewings. It is so entertaining, and there are soooo many pop-culture references I must have missed oodles.

I had a huge grin on my face at the end of the film, and many more grins throughout.

I confess to being a bit of a fan of Ryan Reynolds and he just keeps getting better and better. The rest of the cast are great too.

Excellent escapism and highly recommended if you want to lose yourself in it, and forget the troubles of the world for nearly 2 hours.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

January 02, 2022, 03:53:58 AM #1 Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 04:21:40 AM by Matt2112
Just watched on blu-ray - as is often, I'm broadly in agreement with Reg, although I'd add The Truman Show to its list of influences.

I loved the concepts underpinning this film, though of course as it's a Ryan Reynolds vehicle meant for mass consumption - and in principle there's nothing with that - the more profound ideas are left in the dust of the relentless, whizz-bang pace, frenetic action sequences and frequent in-jokery.

Fortunately, virtually all of it lands, and makes for perfect weekend popcorn fodder (though I was accompanied by a pleasant Chilean Merlot, but you get the drift). :)
The keys to happiness