• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Foundation

Started by Reg, October 01, 2021, 18:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like the Dune series, the Foundation series is one of the absolute classics of the science fiction genre.

It quite caught me by surprise that this was being worked on - never mind a 10 part 1st season is already done.

I have read a bit about it, and the showrunner (David S. Goyer) who pitched it to Apple TV, has a definite end point in mind, and his vision covers 8 series - so 80 episodes if they stick to a 10 episode formula, and it keeps getting paid for.

On the basis of episode 1, I will be in it for the long haul.

Glorious to look at, and the story so far appears to be sympathetically handled. The casting of Jared Harris as mathematician Hari Seldon is a great choice. Some of the main characters (young mathematician Gaal Dornick is one) have become female in the adaptation where they were male in the books. But this is a good thing.

Anyway, if you haven't read the books (the original trilogy at least), well why not?

Anyhoo - top quality TV so far. The opening episode had me hooked for 1 hour and 10 minutes and I look forward to watching the rest of it.

Speaking of Dune, the new film is out very soon ;D
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

I'll wait for all episodes to come out before watching this and I'm really looking forward to it. The reviews aren't great though; currently at 7.6 on IMDb.

Hopefully Dune will be good too. I've read the books and really liked David Lynch's version from '84, so fingers crossed.

QuoteAnyhoo - top quality TV so far. The opening episode had me hooked for 1 hour and 10 minutes and I look forward to watching the rest of it.

That is exactly the kind of review I was looking for !!!
 You can watch the 1st Episode on Apple TV without subscribing, i've got 7 episodes downloaded but will go with Apple TV for Episode 1.
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

I think I'm 4 (or maybe 5) episodes in, and things have calmed down a bit from the overall splendidness of the 1st episode, although there are still some outstanding moments.

The most gripping scenes to me currnently are those which focus on "Empire" - the 3 clones of the Emperor. I find these completely fascinating.

In contrast, life at the fledgling Foundation on Terminus is pretty dull. I expect this to change as the Foundation starts to have political sway in the outer reaches of the Empire.

The impetus of the 1st episode has settled more into a slow-burn now.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Well, all done now.

So . . . very, very different from the source book(s), apart from the central idea of Hari Seldon's psychohistory predicting the fall of the Empire, and the setting up of the Foundation on Terminus. I believe that there are, in all, 8 seasons planned. If they can keep up the quality of the story then we are in for a great ride methinks.

I actually like that they have just taken the bones of the idea and run with it. It makes for so many suprises! And the introduction of new concepts, like "Empire" that I have already mentioned.

I can heartily recommend this to fans of 'proper' science fiction. Gripping.