• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

What's in Your CD Player etc....175

Started by Bez, December 15, 2017, 11:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In Mourning-The Bleeding Veil

Quality album, for anyone craving Mid era Opeth, this is for you. Two really good albums on the bounce from this crew now
The new songs are an abomination

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Arrogance Is Bliss

Mostly Autumn - Graveyard Star
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt.2 - Scenes From a Memory

It Bites - The Tall Ships
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

Confession - until today I had never heard Tales From Topographic Oceans, when I used to buy music I could never justify the purchase of a double album, especially one that received such mixed reviews.

Working from home today and with my head buried in spreadsheets I thought I'd give it a go.

First listen I thought it was ok - Sides 1 and 2 in particular were very listenable.  I thought side 3 was mostly awful though and only slightly redeemed by side 4.  On a quick surfacing from excel I had a  look at wiki and these entries made me laugh...

"Anderson had thought of recording under a tent in a forest at night with electrical generators buried into the ground so they would be inaudible, but "when I suggested that, they all said, 'Jon, get a life!'"

"  At one point during the recording, Anderson wished for a "bathroom sound" effect on his vocals and asked the band's lighting engineer, Michael Tait, to build him a plywood box with tiles stuck onto it. After Tait explained to Anderson that the idea would not work, Tait "built it anyway".[24] Sound engineer Nigel Luby recalled tiles falling off the box during takes.[25]   
"Who would have thought that the ending of freedom of movement of goods and people would lead to shortages in goods and people"

Head scratcher!

Lots of Coheed and Cambria
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Pallas - The Dreams of Men
Agusa - En Annan Värld

The Wishing Tree - Ostara
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

King Crimson - Music is Your Friend (Official Bootleg, live in Washington & Albany)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Anthony Phillips - Wise After the Event

XTC - drums and wires

VdGG - Pawn Hearts (Stereo Remix)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

The new elbow record.  
Was going to give it a miss as the last 2 did absolutely nothing for me.  Picked up the signed version from Amazon.  It's a stunner.  Perfect wintertime listening as well.

Damon Albarn new record.
Was going to give this a miss as well, but picked it up as he announced a Newcastle show and I thought what the hey.  Esoteric, but still, like elbow a wonderful listen and perfect for listening to as the dark nights and cold weather bed in...
Anger is a gift.