• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

The Martian

Started by Reg, October 06, 2015, 23:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So good!  Bev loved it too - and the 70's disco soundtrack.  Deserves to be seen on the big screen.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Great return to form by Ridley Scott. Excellent performance by Matt Damon and a strong supporting cast. Very engaging, humorous and well worth seeing
How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Angling for a school trip to see this.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Just seen.  Overall, very good!  Recommended.
The keys to happiness

Brilliant! Plays like a cross between Apollo 13 and Gravity. If you liked either of those you'll love this. The depiction of the stark barren beauties of Mars is awesome. Matt Damon is fantastic in the central role. He even managed to give me a pang of 80's hacker nostalgia at one point. The whole way he gets comms active again is very well done and feels believable.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Finally got round to watching this. I've been meaning to for about five years, now. Good film. It is, as Ron observed five years ago, very similar to Gravity in approach.

But - I think it's overlong. It stacks up two or three too many apparently insurmountable obstacles and ultimately loses a bit of focus. Great escapism though. Just my sort of thing.

Apparently the book is very good
The new songs are an abomination

Quote from: Jonners on March 08, 2021, 18:39:00 PMApparently the book is very good
Yes the book is very good. Written by a NASA geek. it is scientifically, engineeringly and geeky personalites accurate and a good read.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown