• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Voyeurs..Amazon prime.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

September 12, 2021, 20:49:21 PM #3061 Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 21:18:20 PM by Bisto
Watched "Win the Wilderness: Alaska" over two nights on Netflix.....it's a six parter in which 6 British couples, with different experiences, backgrounds and age ranges, were chosen to enter a contest to prove themselves capable and worthy of taking over a self built, three story, off grid lodge on Ose Mountain, a hundred miles from the nearest town, and surviving in the wilds (and extreme weather conditions) of Alaska by convincing the original owners (and builders) of their suitability and capability, not only to survive, but thrive and inject a new lease of life into the the property, whilst honouring the pioneer spirit that inspired and drove it's now aged and frail owner to set out into the last true frontier land of the Western World, and become the last person ever to stake a land claim under the 1862 Homestead Act signed off by Abraham Lincoln.

I only subsequently found out that this production was shown previously on BBC2  (it being a co-production with the BBC) so some of you may have seen this already.

I'm a sucker for wide shots of pristine Alaskan Wilderness so decided to try and tune out of the ridiculous way in which the show, and its main premise was set up and just drink in the scenery and hopefully see some Brown and Black Bears, Moose, Beaver, Coyotes etc.. and thought there might be a few interesting human interest stories and anecdotes.

I won't add too many spoilers about the show itself (although there is a massive reveal about the post events) but I have to say that there were so many (glaring) unanswered questions, and so much that was utterly ridiculous about it, that the production team invited total ridicule and incredulity at the level of ineptitude and unprofessionalism in the way they constructed and edited the show ....there was so much obviously fake about it, and so much missing information that I felt it insulted the intelligence of its potential audience and ruined any genuine enjoyment that might otherwise have been gained.

....as soon as the last episode ended I felt compelled to uncover the truth and fill in the gaps; the more I uncovered the more I regretted watching the series in the first place.

All of my sympathies lie with the series winners, a  couple who seem to be genuinely honourable, empathetic, loving, caring and hard working human beings who certainly didn't deserve what happened to them after they "won" the house...
....long story short, after more than two years, and rather than suffer any further abuse, stress, worry and financial costs, they have given back the deeds of the house to its original owner, 79 year old invalid Duane Ose, who, within a week of losing Rosa, his wife and partner of over 30 years, he met, and subsequently married (with extremely indecent haste) a gold digging femme fatale (and religious nutter to boot) with at least three aliases to her name...a very nasty peice of work by all accounts, who it appears totally beguiled and took advantage of a very vulnerable, and foolish old man and has totally taken over his life and financial affairs and cut him off from his family and friends.....

...I'm left reflecting, yet again, on just how stunningly beautiful, and yet, savagely harsh and utterly relentless Nature is in creating and perpetuating  conditions and environments that will take life without warning, excuse, acknowledgement or awareness....and how fickle, grasping, malicious and utterly self serving Human Beings can be.

Duane Ose's story (at least such as I know of it) is genuinely interesting and complex, and there is something undeniable noble and compelling, and yet at the same time, utterly bonkers about an Individual deliberately taking on and challenging Nature in this way, especially a former US Army Veteran, who served in Korea, and headed out to Alaska to literally carve a new life in the frozen soil, already in his mid fifties and missing an eye (which had been accidentally shot out by his first wife).....but there can only ever be one winner in the long run....

What a shame that someone with so much spirit, chutzpah and determination, who worked so hard, made so many sacrifices and lived such an uncompromising and challenging life, on his own terms, should become so weak, vulnerable and dependent that he could fall prey to such a despicable human being so quickly and so easily once the "love of his life" died...and how sad for her memory and how upsetting for her family and friends that Duane should move on so quickly after Rosa died just a few short months after moving back to civilization having lived with him, loved, helped and supported him through 30+ years of hardship, sacrifice and ill health....

If I've managed to put anybody off watching then, apologies, but if any of you have seen this I'd be interested to hear your take on it.
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

^ I did watch this show when it aired on BBC2 and I knew something had gone sorely wrong for the "winners", but not in any detail so thanks for that summary Bisto. It's quite sad really for all concerned and the producers certainly have some explaining to do. Maybe an honest follow up programme should be made about this whole shambles.

Channel 5's Submarine: Life Under the Waves. I always like these sort of documentaries and this one is very good so far. How on earth anyone could live and work in a metal tube like this is beyond me - hats off to those guys. I've met a few submariners in my time and they all seem a little bit odd; maybe that's not the right word but there is something about them (not in a bad way, just different). I did spend some time on HMS Nottingham and that felt claustrophobic and I was always ducking everywhere (I'm 6'3"), but the ExO was taller than me - must have been awful for sailors that tall. But subs must be a different world. Nope, not for me.

QuoteChannel 5's Submarine: Life Under the Waves. I always like these sort of documentaries and this one is very good so far. How on earth anyone could live and work in a metal tube like this is beyond me - hats off to those guys. I've met a few submariners in my time and they all seem a little bit odd; maybe that's not the right word but there is something about them (not in a bad way, just different). I did spend some time on HMS Nottingham and that felt claustrophobic and I was always ducking everywhere (I'm 6'3"), but the ExO was taller than me - must have been awful for sailors that tall. But subs must be a different world. Nope, not for me.
Bit different to Vigil then on BBC, looks like they are working in a Regus office
The new songs are an abomination

Last ever season of Bosch on Prime, superb stuff again.

Watching Good Girls Season 4 with the wife, silly stuff but keeps my attention.

Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

We finished Brand New Cherry Flavor. Not too bad, but the ending was a bit pants. 7/10. 

Now watching Barbarians - the Romans in AD9 Germany. Subs required for the German parts and also for the impressive classic Latin. Liking it so far after 2 eps (of 6).

Cinema Paradiso

I was expecting to watch the 174-minute Director's Cut sent to me by, erm, Cinema Paradiso, even more so when I pulled the Blu-ray out of its sleeve that displayed the running time as 174 minutes.

However, it turned out I'd actually been sent the two-hour original theatrical version, but I just saw it as less to sit through should I not enjoy it that much.

I needn't have had any concerns; this is a wonderful homage to cinema, love, loss and escapism, and I was completely swept along by it all.  It's sentimental, yes, but I'm a bit of a sucker for that unless it strays into mawkishness - which this never does.

Now I just need to get hold of the Director's Cut... :)

The keys to happiness

QuoteCinema Paradiso

I was expecting to watch the 174-minute Director's Cut sent to me by, erm, Cinema Paradiso, even more so when I pulled the Blu-ray out of its sleeve that displayed the running time as 174 minutes.

However, it turned out I'd actually been sent the two-hour original theatrical version, but I just saw it as less to sit through should I not enjoy it that much.

I needn't have had any concerns; this is a wonderful homage to cinema, love, loss and escapism, and I was completely swept along by it all.  It's sentimental, yes, but I'm a bit of a sucker for that unless it strays into mawkishness - which this never does.

Now I just need to get hold of the Director's Cut... :)

It's an absolute Classic! Didn't realize there is a Director's Cut...must get hold of a copy...thanks for the heads up😎👍🏻
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

QuoteMissions on iPlayer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6445112/. A French Sci-fi TV Series of 10 short episodes. The first manned mission to Mars by the French (yeah right!) is met by a surprise that someone else has got there before them. I'll give it 6/10 for effort as the story itself is quite good, just that this show doesn't execute it very well. The effects are quite poor too, but the acting is OK apart, oddly, the English speaking actors. Strange too that these Americans and English are all fluent in French.

Just finished Season 2 of Missions (quiet 2 nights in work for a change), decent enough again with some themes from other Sci-Fi shows introduced to the mix......might get a 3rd Season with the ending.
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

Quote from: GlezgaRed on Yesterday at 04:30:11 AMJust finished Season 2 of Missions (quiet 2 nights in work for a change), decent enough again with some themes from other Sci-Fi shows introduced to the mix......might get a 3rd Season with the ending.
I really enjoyed the first series; must watch the second one. It felt unrushed and characters got the time to grow despite the 30 minute episodes.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown