• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

So, what are you reading at the moment? Volume 6

Started by Dixkot, February 22, 2013, 18:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally finished The Stand; it was a slog but an enjoyable read. I'm going to watch the 1994 TV adaptation now (hopefully better than the recent remake). As I promised myself earlier I'm now reading Rob Halford's autobiography: Confess.

Finished Confess last night. Pretty good and slightly better than KK Downing's effort - but it's interesting to get two separate (and different) perspectives of Judas Priest's history. Rob Halford says he hasn't read KK's book, and this is clear when you read both.

Now, I've just started Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I didn't realise that I watched the TV show Neverwhere on BBC2 back in 1996 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere . Gaiman wrote the novel whilst the show was running. Admittedly I only have a vague recollection of the TV series, but I did enjoy it so expectations are high for the book.

Poolside reading on holiday;

Denzil Meyrick - Dark Suits & Sad Songs (9/10)
Eric Van Lustbader - The Bourne Initiative (7/10)
Frank Herbert - The Eyes of Heisenberg (7/10)
Frank Tayall - Surviving The Evacuation Book 2: Wasteland (7/10)
Frank Tayall - Surviving The Evacuation Book 3: Family (7/10)

and 2 Kindle Monthly free books that I can't remember this now, both very good.

Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

The power of geography - Tim Marshall
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

The Seven Daughters of Eve - Bryan Sykes
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Waterland - Graham Swift
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

The MoD's document on inclusive language.

Quite good - until it loses the plot somewhat towards the end.  :-\
The keys to happiness

Elizabeth Bear - Machine
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

QuoteSince I wrote this I've finished that one, and also read (mostly listened to) the third and fourth Reacher novels Tripwire and The Visitor and now I've started the fifth, Echo Burning. All good entertaining stuff. Of the first four I'd say Tripwire is the strongest.
So I finished Echo Burning, then I went on to Without Fail. All good stuff, diverting and entertaining. There's a nice Holmes-ian aspect to the way Reacher gets to the bottom of the problems he's faced with. I don't have the attention span to read books except when I'm holiday, but one nice thing about spending a couple of hours on a bike is that there's not much else you can do, apart from listening to music or a radio station, than listen to an audiobook. Very handy especially for long rides because my little SanDisk MP3 player runs for many hours between recharges.

I will listen to something else before I go on to Reacher 7.

I downloaded a book called Lily's Promise at the weekend, a Holocaust survivor's account of surviving Auschwitz. I would really like to think that I'll listen to it or read it, but in all honesty while it's considerably more important than the fictional tales of an ex military police Major solving crimes and hurting bad guys, it may not be the sort of thing that will hold my attention on a bike ride.

Roger Daltrey's biog - Thanks A Lot Mr Kibblewhite

Halfway through. A great read so far. Some 'lol' moments

Stephen King - The Green Mile (picked up from a charity shop for 50p)

just finished Peter Frampton's memoir - Do You Feel like I Do?  A great story, what a life in music he's had.

Human kind - A Hopeful History, Rutger Bregman
"Who would have thought that the ending of freedom of movement of goods and people would lead to shortages in goods and people"

Head scratcher!