Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 56584 times)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2535 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
has to be a smart trainer, few of them around now, Bkool, Taccx, plenty of choice
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2536 on: October 06, 2017, 20:46:29 PM »
There are a few different types within the same brand that seem to do what I want, at various price points. A bit more research needed I think.

Anyway I downed tools early once again this afternoon and was out on two wheels by 4:45pm, on the Cannondale. I chose a longish version of the Twycross run, up to the outskirts of Ashby at the top then right down through Twycross to Sheepy then down to Fenn Lanes. First time for quite a while that I'd started right from the end of Fenn Lanes, I usually cut across Upton Lane and Stoke Road to join it a mile or so in. But rather than continuing right through Sutton Cheney and Cadeby I took a short cut to Bosworth through Shenton, just for a bit of adventure really. I do believe I've only ever been along there once before, and that was coming the other way near the start of the Beds / Bucks trip. Nice road, nice and quiet. Goes past a cute little railway station at Shenton that's now only used as part of a "heritage" railway service called the Battlefield Line.

Nice weather, not windy, not too cold. Dry and bright to start though cloudy later, then dark. I took the Cannondale though I'd been meaning to take the Boardman for a while. Perhaps tomorrow.

Anyway I took pretty much the standard way home from Bosworth. Another lovely sunset coming north from there, but I didn't have a phone on me this time and they never quite manage to capture what you see with your eyes, anyway. Getting quite dark by the time I turned right onto Newton Rd, approaching Heather. As I came down a hill the light from my LED torch, which had been doing a grand job of illuminating the road in front of me up to that point, suddenly became completely unfocussed, making the road quite dim. I stopped at the bottom of the incline to examine it. The front lens element had unscrewed itself from the shaft of the torch, and fallen off. Fortunately I had a spare light so I fitted that instead and tracked back, to look for the missing bit. I didn't find it. I might have another look tomorrow in the daylight, though I doubt I'll find it. But it was only a few quid, and I still have the rechargeable battery it came with.

Got home, switched the GPS watch off, but went to check the distance just now and it's telling me "no history".  It's getting to be a bit unreliable unfortunately. I'll have to synthesise the track again and upload it later. But I remember that I was on 31.54 at the two-miles-to-go point - I always check the distance done there when I come home that way - so I'll call it 33.5, which brings me to 52 miles this month.

Edit: duly synthesised and uploaded https://www.strava.com/activities/1218174019
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 21:53:36 PM by Slim »

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2537 on: October 07, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
After last weekends charity ride i decided to expore a little more of the Blackdown hills. Although the weather was grey and spitting it was an enjoyabe ride. Now wearing my new glasses from Optilabs (£159) with prescription inserts and 3 colour shades, i opted for the orange shade today which is best for overcast weather, immediately i felt i was cycling on an alien planet with orange skies and vivid green grass (or i was on drugs). Once i got used to them the normal world colours looked very drab. Cycled by 3 WW2 airbases, Dunkerswell (still an active airfield), Smeatharpe (now a banger circuit) and Culmhead (now a business park), after an initial first climb to get on top of the Blackdowns the top is as flat as a pancake (well at least for this part of the country) and the road surfaces were excellent, great cycling country.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1218855821
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2538 on: October 07, 2017, 14:46:39 PM »
The forecast last night threatened showers for today but by this morning the risk appeared to have passed, so I took the black & white one out for a Twycross run. Went out an unusual way, along Newton Road from Heather - wanted to see if I could find the bit that dropped off my torch last night. I tracked back and forward along the stretch of road in question two or three times, but didn't find it. Took a right to Swepstone, then left to Snarestone and down through Twycross the usual way.

Quite nice out there - the roads were a little damp in places from overnight rain, but not enough to throw up spray and get the frame dirty. A bit windy but mild and very pleasantly autumnal. No showers.

Went right down to the western end of Fenn Lanes again and followed it right along to Cadeby, idly wondering if I might be pedalling over the very spot where Richard met his death, before being buried under a car park in Leicester. Back through Bosworth and Heather as usual. Had another careful look for the front element of the torch, without success. I've chucked the rest of the torch out now.

The bench at Sutton Cheney has been replaced, rather oddly. There was nothing whatever wrong with the old one last time I was there.

I came to a halt outside my garage door then hit the 'save' button on my Garmin Forerunner 10. It promptly rebooted, sending the whole track to the great bit bucket in the sky. Clearly that's what happened last night, as well. It's been very useful this last two years but I suspect it has reached the end of the line, now. I do have another Garmin watch but it needs an ANT+ connection to get the track off, which is a faff.

Anyway I made a careful mental note of the distance before I inadvertently rebooted the watch - 34.77 miles. Once again I have synthesised the track uploaded to Strava.

86 this month, 3663 this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1219064855
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 14:48:44 PM by Slim »

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2539 on: October 07, 2017, 14:54:02 PM »
The old bench. What was wrong with it?

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2540 on: October 07, 2017, 18:44:57 PM »
Took the old bike out this afternoon. Wise decision as there was intermittent rain and muddy roads. I did wonder - as I always do - about swapping the clear lens on the cycling shades for the yellow one, but I couldn't be arse as I'd only break the £2.99 Wilkinsons' specials - hey, Mrs S bought them for me and it's more than my life's worth not to wear them! I'd also managed to get the saddle back to a proper position. No achy legs at all today :)
Took the long way to the tops today, intending to descend down to the Derwent Valley, but the climbs were straight into a strong and ever increasing wind the higher you got, so my legs told me not to. I always assume it's flat when you get up on the Moors, but it's all up and down with the ups feeling very up when you're going into the wind.
Once I'd dropped back down to Chesterfield, for some reason I headed back to the tops again, I suppose because I missed coming back up from the Derwent Valley. I was almost pedalling to stand still on the steepest bits. Nice.
Still, the 53.2 miles takes me to over 1,000 miles in my comeback, just wish I felt fitter for it. :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/1219502208
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 18:57:13 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2541 on: October 08, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
Interesting piece about the Forerunner 10 here, by an owner who started having the same problem after roughly the same time, two years. Concluded that it's the fault of the battery. The piece describes how to replace it.

http://crack3d-l3ns.weebly.com/home/replacing-your-garmin-forerunner-10-battery

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2542 on: October 08, 2017, 18:03:33 PM »
Great autumn ride today, sunshine and stillness. Took a couple of detours off my standard route which were interesting, always amazing to see some of the properties tucked away down back lanes. My lower back pain has improved dramatically after my forward saddle adjustment, however this has come at the cost of chafing of the undercarriage, which I have never suffered from before. No doubt I’ll be splashing out on butt butter or some expensive cycling magic cure.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1220477834

Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #2543 on: October 08, 2017, 19:47:55 PM »
First ride out for a few weeks. Managed a shade over 40 miles but was suffering a little 10 miles from home. The hips were starting to protest along with my out of condition legs. Saved by a banana.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2544 on: October 08, 2017, 21:14:26 PM »
It was a beautiful day for a outing on the bike. Perfect fondo weather - cloudy, still, dry, not too warm. Alas, I promised to go walking with 'er indoors. Not sure there'll be another day off work like this before April or so.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2545 on: October 08, 2017, 21:57:10 PM »
Took the new bike out for a spin today. Did almost exactly the same ride as last Sunday on the old bike. Did it in almost exactly the same time too. There was me thinking a lightweight carbon race bike would have me scorching round the countryside like there was no tomorrow. Ho-hum.
Some of it was down to the weather, last week on the 10 mile TT course I was doing there were some sections that were turbocharged by a tailwind, obviously I was slowed on the reverse by a headwind but that was on the slower more uphill bits anyway. Today was almost all, or so it seemed a cross headwind. I beat my 10 mile TT time, but not by much.
I never realised just how much difference a 36T chainring would make as opposed to a 34T one, whilst my uphill times were on a par with last week, it took more effort. Guess I'll have to get fitter, that or swallow my pride and fit a long cage derailleur and stick an 11-32T cassette on...

On one bit of the Staveley bypass, there's a Pedestrian/Cyclist/Equestrian light controlled crossing and no bugger EVER bothers to press the freaking button! Today I was having a go at setting a PR on a segment, I looked up too see the lights on green, but some old fart on a mobility scooter was halfway over the crossing so I has to slow and swerve round the old twat. Makes me seethe.

I'll have to do a bit of saddle adjustment on the new bike too, I was really feeling it in the hamstrings again today. Think it might be 2mm too high.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1221351969/
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2546 on: October 12, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
Just bought one of these, should arrive tomorrow.

A "Kinetic Road Machine Smart". It doesn't have the "smart control" feature which would allow Zwift (for example) to vary the resistance automatically. But it should have the other necessary sensors built in. Maybe not cadence, not sure I need that or not.

But hopefully I'll be able to go out on some real roads at the weekend.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2547 on: October 12, 2017, 16:23:41 PM »
Nice. Shame you didnt go smart though

Cadence is a really good thing to measure, along with heart rate. Basically you can then measure how long you can ride at a certain HR/Cadence, and thus get an idea of the power you create.

Basically, if you can try and keep your cadence the same (I try and aim for 90) then vary the gears/resistance it will be a great way to train
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2548 on: October 12, 2017, 19:44:20 PM »
Well it is a "smart trainer" notionally, but as you allude, some trainers are smart - and some trainers are smart. There is actually a control unit you can add on which will let Zwift visit the gradients upon you. I thought I'd see how I get on without that first, as it costs more than the trainer.

A dry and mild day so I took the green one out after leaving work at 4:40ish. No real idea of a route in mind when I left the garage except that it seemed like a lovely late afternoon to be cycling through the open space in and around Coleorton, so I did that. Took (roughly) the old route toward Donington then a left to Melbourne. Then back the time-honoured way down past Calke and Newbold.

Back before dark, though it was getting a bit dusky a couple of miles from home.

Only 21.67 miles, but I'm on call.

I was about to type that it was a bit hillier than a similar distance Twycross run would have been, but I checked and it turns out that it wasn't. The 22 mile Twycross route that I did four weeks ago involved 1090 ft of elevation exactly according to Strava, and so did this one. But the Twycross average speed was slightly greater.

108 this month.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2549 on: October 13, 2017, 22:19:36 PM »
So I pulled the trainer out of the box, brought it into the study, downloaded the app to my phone, attempted to pair it - nothing. Turned out that the battery was flat. Put a new CR2032 in (stole it from the Boardman's bike computer actually) and it was fine. Paired it to the Kinetic app on the phone. All good. Dragged the Boardman into the house, fitted the skewer and carefully slotted it into the trainer.

Signed up for the Zwift free trial. Zwift detected two sensors via the phone (over wifi) - power and speed I think? Got my Windows (ptuh) lappy set up in front of the trainer, carefully applied the skewer, and off I went on a figure of eight course. I'd done 8 pretend miles by the time my work phone went off and I had to stop.

That was fun - definitely a game changer for me.  I didn't find it super-immersive but it was definitely hard work - I was properly hot and sweaty when I climbed down off the bike. Not sure how realistic it is - I unlocked some sort of achievement by doing 40mph, which I wouldn't do in the real world unless I went over a cliff. That appears to have given me the ability to customise my avatar a bit, which I did.

I'm quite keen to do the London routes - I suppose you have to unlock some particular achievements or start a paying subscription.

Anyway - hopefully the actual road tomorrow.