Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 55183 times)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2610 on: November 09, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
did a 50 minute one last night that has you at 90% of FTP for 40 minutes. Was tough, but finished far stronger than I thought I would, Will keep going for another week, then do another FTP test, as I think my level might be a bit lower than it should be
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2611 on: November 11, 2017, 17:18:34 PM »
The roads were a bit wet this morning, but no point having three road bikes if you're not going to get one of them a bit mud-spattered from time to time. I'd arranged someone to cover my oncall from 10-1430 so I thought I'd have a longish run out, as opportunities for cycling have been limited so far this month.

I'd set off with the vague intention of doing the old Melbourne - Markfield route, but when I got to Melbourne I decided to go the Ticknall way instead. From Ticknall my curiosity was piqued by a sign to Swadlincote, so I parked myself on a bench at a bus shelter, scrutinised Google Maps and devised a route through Hartshorne, Swadlincote and down through Donisthorpe. I'd never been that way before so it made a nice change, though Swadlincote itself is a bit dismal, truth be told.

From Measham I motored on down through Snarestone and did a regular Twycross route to finish off, coming back through Bosworth but avoiding Heather Lane by taking a right to Ibstock, from where I judged that conditions were less likely to be wet and muddy.

Nothing but rugby on 5 Live so I tuned to 6 Music and listened to Liz Kershaw, who had Carl Palmer as her guest. Seemed like a thoroughly interesting bloke.

I wrapped up warm and actually was if anything a bit too warm for the first hour of the ride, when the sun was out. But later on the temperature dropped quite a bit and conditions became a bit dank, so I was glad of my four upper layers.

47.01, taking me to a respectable 119 miles this month. Conditions are slated to be dry, sunny but cold and windy tomorrow. But I'm on call again so can't go too far anyway.

Cycling to points west of Ashby as I have today has been known, for reasons which defy human understanding, to provoke celebrity fatalities. I'll keep my eye on the news.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1270782025

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2612 on: November 11, 2017, 17:46:02 PM »
Today I decided to have a go at a different route up to the Peak District Moors. I'd been down it a couple of times, but never up. I think today was the wrong day to choose. Going up the first bit of hill my Heart Rate went up to 165 and I was labouring. Seems I might be coming down with the cold that everybody at work and home has got. Sometimes I'll start out like that on a ride and then get back to a more normal rate. Not today.
Fox Lane is 1.3 miles at an average 7% gradient and my Garmin went up to 18% at times, hills really do sort the men from the boys. I'm surprised I averaged 8.1mph the best for it is 14.3mph, It's beyond me how people can keep a decent speed up like that going uphill. I don't think I've ever been as glad to get to the top of a climb before.
I did spot a "familiar" name had done the climb today. Good old Ted Scoggins had been up it, I noticed his name on last week's Nottinghamshire Wheeler Sportive. You don't get many Scogginses about and our paths almost crossed two weeks in a row!

It was full Winter gear on today. I'd forgotten how hard the Winter gloves make gear changing. Forgotten how hard they make gear changing too!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1270812852
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2613 on: November 12, 2017, 17:34:58 PM »
Felt a lot better today. Took a good few miles for the HR to top 160 today and it soon dropped back to reasonable levels. I could have done with some gloves made purely out of towelling to deal with all the snot coming out of my snout. There was a snot stalagmite building up on my crossbar!
There was a nice tailwind for a lot of my outward journey and I racked up a fair few PRs some without even trying too hard. Of course an outward tailwind is a returning tailwind. That wasn't the worst of the return though, as a mile from home, in the twilight I hit something that felt like a brick in the cycle lane, I just couldn't see it in the half light. I got my first ever in ride puncture. I normally ride outside the bloody cycle lane too, but I could tell there was a car behind desperate to get by. Arse Biscuits.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1272524033
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2614 on: November 12, 2017, 19:04:13 PM »
Rather cold out there, and windy. I wrapped up warm, giving the neoprene overshoes their first run out this year. They turned out to be rather effective. On call today still, so I did my route that starts to bring me closer to home for a while again after the first ten miles or so, before diving south through Twycross.

Thinking that the roads might still be a bit puddly, I took the Boardman again. I wasn't too bothered by the wind, in fact I think it was helpful on the southward part.

Really nice out there in the sun. Getting dark when I got back though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1272601626

39.47 miles.

Interested to hear what other people wear in colder conditions? Generally I wear a compression layer, fleece and a nylon cycling top above the waist, with either one or two layers of leggings. But today I judged that it was sufficiently cold to substitute a more substantial walking jacket for the nylon cycling top. A bit heavier but probably a bit warmer.

Snapped this pic from the bridge over the canal at Snarestone, a few miles from home:

And this one just on sunset, a couple of miles further on

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2615 on: November 12, 2017, 20:30:24 PM »
Interested to hear what other people wear in colder conditions?
A pair of Roubaix Bib Tights.
A long sleeve thermal jersey.
Merino Socks.
Winter cycling gloves.
Neoprene overshoes.

On a warm Winter day I sweat buckets. On a cold Winter day I'm just warm enough if I pedal like fury.

Today for the first time I wore a "cap" under my helmet, made from a thing which came free with a Cycling Plus magazine Mrs S bought for me. It kept the old bonce warmer.
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2616 on: November 12, 2017, 22:15:39 PM »
For me

Fleece lined tights
Selection of gloves
Neoprene overshoes
Winter weight jacket
Sometimes a lightweight undershirt
Neck tube
Skull cap

And variations of depending on temperature.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2617 on: November 13, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
http://road.cc/content/review/206672-aldi-performance-bib-tight

Also a variety of tops, Muddy Fox overshoes, and arm and leg warmers.  2 types of gloves dependent on how cold it is.  A skull cap and a neck warmer (which I very rarely wear as it bothers the breathing too much)
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2618 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »
base layer (aldi. Brilliant)
Bib shorts
Roubaix tights (bib) by Shutt  Velo
Thicker winter socks
Some sort of windproof jersey/SHower proof/Rain proof top depending on conditions.
Skull cap below helmet which has a removable thin shield that goes over the vents in rain/winter
two pairs of gloves (Thin base layer ones then windproof castelli ones)
DHB overshoes

Its all about layers with me

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2619 on: November 13, 2017, 18:39:01 PM »
Had the day off work today. Very cold, but dry. I thought another trip to Rutland might be pleasant, but this time I devised a route to bring me back a different way. I knew this would cost me more climbing, but thought it would be more interesting than coming back the same way, as I did last time.

I wrapped up a bit less warm than yesterday, wearing my red nylon shower-proof cycling top as the top layer, rather than the waterproof hiking jacket I had on yesterday. Probably a mistake, as I was a bit cold here and there. But not enough to spoil the fun. It's normally very handy for a long run out though as it's highly compressible and can be stowed away without taking up all the space in a small backpack.

I took the Cannondale and after using the Boardman for the last three rides, the difference was really obvious, dramatic even. There's a certain woosh! factor. It feels so much lighter, stiffer and sharper.

I particularly enjoyed riding through Rempstone and Wymeswold on the way out and knowing I wasn't coming back that way, as that can be a bit of a boring grind at the end of a long ride. I somehow lost my strawberry breakfast drink after only a few gulps - I'd stowed it in the front bottle cage thinking it would probably stay there, but it bounced out somewhere near Rempstone. I only noticed when I realised the front cage was empty.

Quite bright and pleasant all the way across to Melton Mowbray, and down through Burton Lazars. I took the turn along Whissendine Rd that leads to the Rutland border since it was close, even though I'd already ticked the Rutland box twice. Then I turned south to explore the new route I'd chosen.

This turned out to be a very good idea - lovely quiet roads with nice views, through Somerby, Burrough on the Hill and Twyford. The temperature started to drop a bit not much later and the wind was a bit hard on my face in more exposed parts, but I was still thoroughly enjoying myself. Very nice to experience new roads, though I was back on familiar territory by the time I got to Rothley, where I stopped to take on fuel at a Delicatessen. No benches handy so I had my snack sitting on the short wall of the Co-op car park a bit further on.

About ten miles from home, I sneaked into the woods at the edge of Lingdale Golf club for a wee, and saw a robin hopping from twig to twig in a holly bush a few feet away from me. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Although I hadn't intended to, I took the Coalville bypass on the way home since the roads seemed quiet enough. Put my foot down as it was getting dark (though I did have lights on) and my word, the Cannondale positively flew along there. I love this bike.

65.10 and that's a pleasing 223 this month.

Pleased to have got a decently long ride in at this time of year. The very first 60+ mile trip I undertook since I took up cycling again in earnest nearly three years ago was to Rutland and back, and I thought there was no way I could do it except in spring or summer.

I have the day off tomorrow as well, but I'll probably just veg out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1273774213

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2620 on: November 13, 2017, 20:16:31 PM »
Cycling gear in colder days ..

Bib longs with a pair or ron hill leggings underneath (cuts out a lot of the wind but not all) on cold days if it's not so cold just the bib longs
T shirt with a long sleeve Helly Hansen shirt and an Endura Gridlock 2 jacket on top for wet days alternate on dry is a roubaix fleece by pearl assumi
Gloves are a standard pair of Gore Universal gtx thermo gloves with a pair of extremities under gloves

Don't wear a lid but usually wear the under skull cap under a thermo woolen cap not that great if it's raining but stops the wind . also use a buff for facial covering .

Tried using the overshoe things didn't get on with them so on colder days use a pair of socks over the shoes seems to work eve if it does look a bit weird .

Cycled in to work today and it was cold at 4am happily i was warm enough ..

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2621 on: November 14, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
Did day 1 of a 4 week FTP booster programme on Zwift last night (think thats code for a 4 week series of training rides aimed at power generation).
Quite a gentle introduction as the first ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/1274108579

I am warming to Zwift now, there are lots of training options which make up for the lack of courses (for now). What I do find interesting is with the training programmes they are based around power (watts) and cadence, so for instance last night included 4 intervals of 5 minutes at 175 watts. While I dont bother too much about Strava segments and where i sit compared to others I follow, I do seem to be last on quite a lot of segments done so far! 175 watts generated up a 8% slope equates to about 2mph apparently!!!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2622 on: November 14, 2017, 17:10:53 PM »
I'm missing Zwift, the weather's been too kind this last few days :)

Had the day off work today and as I glanced at the clock at lunchtime, I reflected that I hadn't really made much use of my spare time. I'd cleaned the kitchen, done some washing, and that was about it.

So I thought I'd go and calibrate the new bike computer on the Cannondale. I wrapped up warmer than yesterday by using a thicker fleece but actually it was milder, and I was a touch too warm. Weather a bit better than expected. The roads were a bit damp from overnight rain but only a few traces of standing water and it didn't rain.

I did a medium-long Twycross with a bit of a twist, approaching Bosworth by a short cut through Shenton rather than Sutton Cheney and Cadeby. Ended up doing 32.26 miles according to the GPS, or 32.15 according to the bike computer. I shall adjust it accordingly, although you can't get them super accurate as it only takes the tyre circumference in cm (not mm like some devices). Very pleased to have got more than 30 miles out of my DIY-repaired Garmin though, without the battery warning indicator coming on.

Saw a pheasant lying on the road along Heather Lane, on the last couple of miles from home. Like other contributors to this thread I'm sure, I've seen hundreds of dead birds lying in the road while out cycling, but this one was visibly twitching. I briefly thought of stopping to stamp on its head to make sure it was out of its misery but decided I'd rather not be cleaning pheasant gunk off my cleat on my return home. So I left it. It might well have been dead already and if not, hopefully it didn't suffer long.

Back just after sunset.

After a slow start the November campaign is doing quite nicely as we approach the half-way mark. 256 miles. 4258 this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1275081726

Thanks for the feedback on the cold weather clothing by the way, everyone. I might buy some winter leggings. At the moment I use regular leggings with thermal long johns underneath in colder weather but they can be a bit of a faff to get on. I've ordered a proper cold weather cycling top, anyway. One thing that I do find useful is a helmet cover - it keeps the wind out of the vents when it's icy.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2623 on: November 17, 2017, 17:53:53 PM »
Last day of my staycation. I thought I'd have a long run out, since the weather was quite promising - sunny and dry, if rather cold. I must admit I was slightly daunted when I got up this morning and noticed the frost on the village green. But I wrapped up warm. A bit chilly for the first couple of hours but by lunchtime I was pleasantly toasty in the sun.

I devised a route that would take me via the usual Northamptonshire route down to Husbands Bosworth, then cut across to come back up via a brand new route. This new part proved to be very nice for the first ten miles or so - very quiet and scenic - but a bit ordinary after that. Barwell in particular seems to be a bit of a hole.

Still felt quite fresh by the time I was approaching Cadeby with nearly 50 miles done, so I extended my ride slightly by taking a left off the A47 through Sutton Cheney and from there along a quiet little road I hadn't tried before called Ambion Lane. That led to Shenton Lane, from where I came home up through Market Bosworth the usual way. I was back before 3pm.

Should have done a 75-miler really - it was nice out there and I had plenty of energy left. But a nice day out nonetheless. The only bummer was that my bumper-size bidon which had its first (and last) run out, leaked Lucozade onto my bike. I gave the affected area a good hose down with GT-85 on my return to the garage.

61.44, and that takes me to 318 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1279210151

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2624 on: November 18, 2017, 16:10:26 PM »
The weather forecast threatened rain but it didn't seem likely. I devised a route up through Ashby and Ticknall to the southern extremity of Derby, then back down through Melbourne and Peggs Green to Markfield.

Very much a game of two halves. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride up through Ticknall and over Swarkestone Bridge, but by the time I'd got to Whitwick I started to become depressed by the dismal urbanity of my surroundings, and the dankness of the weather (it was still dry to be fair, just cold and gloomy). I decided a sentimental journey to Markfield wasn't worth the hill climbing it would involve, and decided to cut my ride short and head home to indulge one of my other interests.

There's more to life than cycling, y'know.

As I stopped at a set of lights in Coalville, I was approached by a random member of the public. "I've got a Boardman CX!" he announced. I suppose he wanted to bond with a fellow Boardman owner. I exchanged pleasantries with him for a minute or so until the lights turned green.

Wish I'd done a Twycrosser really. But it was interesting to do the Ashby - Ticknall section the other way round for a change.

29.2 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1280479920