Author Topic: FEAR OF FLYING  (Read 416 times)

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
FEAR OF FLYING
« on: August 07, 2017, 17:53:02 PM »
As I've just booked a holiday to Fuerteventura next whitsun, I'm already thinking ahead to dealing with flying. I've only flown once before, which was an hour to Amsterdam, and I wasn't too bad, but this is a different story as it's 4 hours 20 minutes. I can get panicky when I feel trapped somewhere, and it's worrying me that when I'm on that plane, I'm stuck on it til it lands! I'm also scared of heights. Any advice or tips on anything to read to get me in a better frame of mind?

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Re: FEAR OF FLYING
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 20:32:03 PM »
Have you considered going on a fear of flying course, Rob?  Might help? :)
HYF30

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 20:32:23 PM »
A friend of my wife's saw her doctor about this and was prescribed Valium. Didn't have any problems after that :D

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 21:18:00 PM »
Have you considered going on a fear of flying course, Rob?  Might help? :)

Didn't realise they did them mate?

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 21:52:49 PM »
After coming 3rd in a 3D Tractor designing competition, the boy has now been offered an all expenses paid trip to Zurich to talk with the team behind the Farming Simulator series of games.
Only trouble is, is he's shit scared of the idea of flying. Mrs S says that we could go with him - doubt if our expenses would get paid - to help him. Only trouble is, is Mrs S hasn't flown for over 20 years and is now shit scared of flying.
I don't have a fear of flying, but I'm shit scared of crashing.

Should we make him take the Train?

Oh and both mine and Mrs S's passports have expired...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 21:54:25 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 22:21:16 PM »
As I've just booked a holiday to Fuerteventura next whitsun, I'm already thinking ahead to dealing with flying. I've only flown once before, which was an hour to Amsterdam, and I wasn't too bad, but this is a different story as it's 4 hours 20 minutes. I can get panicky when I feel trapped somewhere, and it's worrying me that when I'm on that plane, I'm stuck on it til it lands! I'm also scared of heights. Any advice or tips on anything to read to get me in a better frame of mind?
I've always suffered a little anxiety when flying myself but not bad enough to stop me going away. A lot of people suffer in the same way. Mostly this is totally irrational and really stems fro not having control (the way you perceive you do in a car, for instance). I could offer a little advice. Try to get (or reserve) an aisle seat, you'll feel more relaxed there than in between others. Try to occupy yourself - crosswords, reading, listening to music, cuffing the kids round the ear etc. A couple of drinks work wonders and helps you relax (but only a couple, mind!). I honestly think your fear of heights is the last thing to bother you, planes are generally stable and just remember, it takes an awful lot to stop them flying the way they were designed to. Good luck!

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »
A friend of my wife's saw her doctor about this and was prescribed Valium. Didn't have any problems after that :D

a mate of mine suffers in the same way and also gets tranquillisers from his doc pre-flight....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »

Didn't realise they did them mate?

A few airlines do, but it can be a bit pricey if you include an actual flight.

Have a browse through this mate: Fearless Flyer.

HYF30

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 13:00:24 PM »
My advice Rob would be don't over-think it. A bit of anxiety is not uncommon but the more you think about it the worse you'll get.
Buy a pair of headphones and stick on some Rush to take your mind off it. Flying is after all one of the safest ways to travel.
Once you're up in the air you won't really know you are flying. Probably best not to look out the window though if heights bother you.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 13:55:37 PM »
I used to hate it but have spent most of my career flying around the globe, and by replying to your post proving that every landing so far has been successful. 99% of all my flights have been uneventful and once you are cruising (after 20 mins) flying is so smooth, put a glass of water (or beverage of choice) on the tray in front of you and you will hardly see the liquid move. Consider it a pleasure and dont worry about it , its not worth it, kick back put your headphones on and have a couple of sherberts, before you know it you will be on the descent (20 mins). These days i nod off for most of the flight anyway.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 17:22:10 PM »
Thanks guys, some good advice there.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 20:38:28 PM »
Well, the boy - and Mrs S - won't be overcoming their fear of flying. We're going by Train.
Legend in my own Mind

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 20:39:49 PM »
Can I suggest you don't eat a curry the night before  ::) :P

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 13:56:55 PM »