Author Topic: Grenfell Tower Fire....  (Read 2566 times)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
Grenfell Tower Fire....
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Shocking reports this morning around events in London.

Let's hope its not as bad as seems.
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
Re: Grenfell Tower Fire....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
Yes - not looking good - seems residents associations had had concerns for a while........

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 20:28:21 PM »
Seems to be nothing but bloody bad news just lately.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 22:56:10 PM »
I was really shocked when I saw the footage of it in flames from overnight. And speculation that a faulty refrigerator caused it. Words fail.

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
And speculation that a faulty refrigerator caused it. Words fail.

As with most domestic fires a relatively innocuous ignition point. How it spread so quickly and ferociously was astonishing.

Major rethinking required regarding tower block fire safety. This decorative cladding seems like a modern day equivalent of those polystyrene ceiling tiles that were a huge fire hazard back in the day.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »

As with most domestic fires a relatively innocuous ignition point. How it spread so quickly and ferociously was astonishing.

Major rethinking required regarding tower block fire safety. This decorative cladding seems like a modern day equivalent of those polystyrene ceiling tiles that were a huge fire hazard back in the day.

Similar incidents in Melbourne, Dubai and Roubaix seem to suggest that it really shouldn't have been used.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:13 AM »
I've been sitting around all week feeling sorry for myself because I've been battered a bit by coming off a bike.
Stuff like this puts things into perspective. I just don't have words for it.
Legend in my own Mind

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 14:19:57 PM »
I've been sitting around all week feeling sorry for myself because I've been battered a bit by coming off a bike.
Stuff like this puts things into perspective. I just don't have words for it.

I watched yesterday's BBC news at lunchtime today (I was out at a gig enjoying myself last night) and had a cry

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 16:48:41 PM »
Can't believe that they advise people to stay in their flats if a fire breaks out in the building. The first thing you'd want to do is get out.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 17:54:26 PM »
Stay put policies do work if the building intergity isn't compromised.... some folk need to go to prison over this I suspect?

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 23:15:05 PM »
Both the manufacturers of the cladding and the firm that applied it are saying that the regulations were satisfied. It'll take a long time before a conclusion is arrived at, and then who knows how accurate or realistic that will be.

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 23:20:31 PM »
"Off the record" info suggesting that the death toll may reach 150  :'(

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 00:21:33 AM »
Both the manufacturers of the cladding and the firm that applied it are saying that the regulations were satisfied. It'll take a long time before a conclusion is arrived at, and then who knows how accurate or realistic that will be.
One conclusion that is possible to make as early as now; is that many lives would have been saved if a sprinkler system had been retro-fitted to this building. Unfortunately, whilst recommended, it was not a legal obligation. The cladding may have been a factor in the spread of the fire but, even after similar incidents elsewhwere, the fact that it had not contributed to loss of life in the UK ensured that the regulations remained unaltered. Alas, it always takes catastrophes to change things - especially where extra cost is involved at government level. Another case of politicians failing to put the safety of those they represent first. They're quite happy to piss billions up the wall on vanity projects (HS2, foreign aid) but when it comes to disaster prevention, the coffers are empty - shameful.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »
I doubt sprinklers would have had much effect given the vector and rate of fire spread. They only have them in plant rooms and industrial kitchens.  Sprinklers might have suppressed a bit of smoke in the corridors, but the fire spread up the outside, not the inside due to superheated air rising between cladding and concrete.

The problem appears to have been the alleged failure of the alarm system, the alleged emergency lighting failure and the single fire evacuation route, completely inadequate for a tall block. The whole place was 'dead end condition', hampering escape by the people and access by the firefighters.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
Lily Allen is an angry young lady atm, justifiably so perhaps?

https://www.channel4.com/news/lily-allen-the-government-is-trying-to-micromanage-grief