Author Topic: Quick EU Poll  (Read 13375 times)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Re: Quick EU Poll
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 23:43:44 PM »

I do have a penchant for French wine, food and cars though.

The wine and the food I can sort of understand but I'm struggling to fathom the love for French cars. Surely the most 'French' car maker gave the world the 2CV and the corrugated tin shed on wheels  ;)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 23:55:09 PM »

What Cameron and Osborne should have done is made their recommendation, continued to state their case when asked, but step back from the fray of the campaign. At all costs they should have avoided associating themselves with the most lurid scaremongering. That way, whatever the outcome, their position would not have been threatened.

The Cameron/Osborne train has hit the buffers for me. What with the credibility-destroying budget u-turns and now this ludicrous referendum campaigning, I think they are toast. It will be difficult enough for them with a narrow Remain victory but a Leave win will truly sink their ship.
A bit of good news for them today though - the European Court Of Justice has upheld Cameron's right to restrict migrant's benefits. Of course it has, the EU can't afford to take any chances now..can they? The threat of referendum contagion is too great - 'squeaky bum time' for the unelected idiots. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 23:57:48 PM by DavidL »

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
I wonder if there'll be some last-minute, hastily prepared concession if the opinion polls start to threaten a Leave win, like happened with the Scottish Independence referendum.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
I wonder if there'll be some last-minute, hastily prepared concession if the opinion polls start to threaten a Leave win, like happened with the Scottish Independence referendum.
Quite possibly but, at the very least, it would have to incorporate a review of the free movement of EU citizens, I suspect.
A 'victory' of sorts, I suppose.

L3rxst

• TNMS Member
  • I will choose Freewill!
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 12:39:17 PM »
OUT 100% OUT
I want to believe......

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 19:27:51 PM »
In

Although the Remain campaign haven't exactly covered themselves in glory today with Osbourne's "emergency budget" threat and Geldof's little stunt on the Thames...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 20:14:43 PM »
In

Although the Remain campaign haven't exactly covered themselves in glory today with Osbourne's "emergency budget" threat and Geldof's little stunt on the Thames...
Geldof's a strange old boy, isn't 't he? I mean, he seems to think he knows more about the impact of the Common Fisheries Policy than a collection of fishermen. Perhaps, years ago, he should've thought about gathering up all the discarded fish that resulted from CFP and used them to feed the millions of starving souls in Africa. Perhaps he should be asked about the import tariffs imposed on African goods that so harm that continent's economic development in order to protect EU producers - scruffy-headed eejit.
Surprised his old millionaire mucker Bono hasn't given us the benefit of his wisdom yet  ::)

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 21:12:03 PM »
Years of anti EU propaganda by large sections of the press has led to these misconceptions I believe...

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3742/The-Perils-of-Perception-and-the-EU.aspx
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 21:48:44 PM »
As a devoted reader of the D**ly M**l, I can assure you that they haven't force fed me any of those "false" figures.
Most people are clueless on these things because hardly any "true" figures are ever revealed to us by anybody. Both sides are happy for "the people" to be ignorant.

FACT 1: European Superstate = BAD
FACT 2: A UK run by "Little Englanders" = BAD
FACT 3: The Kinnock family have done very well out of Europe = VERY BAD INDEED
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 22:31:27 PM »
Years of anti EU propaganda by large sections of the press has led to these misconceptions I believe...

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3742/The-Perils-of-Perception-and-the-EU.aspx
Looks like the usual load of cobblers to me. The first two misperceptions are based on supposed 'facts' when it comes to EU immigration. I would suggest the 'facts' relating to this are not known due the large number of those that have entered but are not known to the government (both EU and non-EU). This leads one to conclude that any 'officially sanctioned' figures are likely to be little more than a guesstimate.
Funny also that they think they know how much is spent on the EU's administration given that the (EU's own) auditors have consistently found account errors in EU spending.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 23:32:46 PM by DavidL »

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 22:43:53 PM »
Sad to see Geldof in that state, I hope he's OK.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 23:21:36 PM »
Sad to see Geldof in that state, I hope he's OK.
Yes, a healthier Bob would've surely called up Midge and Bonio, knocked out a tune for his mates to sing and be basking in the glory of another no.1 single by now.
'Do They Know The Risk To Leave EU?'
Missed an opportunity there

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »
Looks like the usual load of cobblers to me. The first two misperceptions are based on supposed 'facts' when it comes to EU immigration. I would suggest the 'facts' relating to this are not known due the large number of those that have entered but are not known to the government (both EU and non-EU). This leads one to conclude that any 'officially sanctioned' figures are likely to be little more than a guesstimate.
Funny also that they think they know how much is spent on the EU's administration given that the (EU's own) auditors have consistently found account errors in EU spending.

The facts of the matter is this referendum is being controlled by  media magnates pursuing their own agendas. Congesting the debate with a perpetual stream of half truths and downright lies. They've been doing it since we joined the EEC and I believe have helped shape opinion to where it is today.  Plenty of talk of lack of democracy in the EU but far more worrying that the likes of Murdoch can direct how the country is run.  I really hope their side of the argument doesn't win out next week. For the sake of the UK and the EU as a whole. For the sake if democracy too.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 14:57:44 PM »
No-one has to pay for Murdoch's papers if they don't want to. I wish I could say the same for the BBC, which has quietly been pushing the Remain campaign since the referendum was declared. That's the real threat to democracy; a state broadcaster funded by coercion that promotes its own agenda.

For this and many other reasons, Remain must lose. And looking at the polls, I'm starting to hope that we have a realistic chance of kicking that deadbeat underachiever of a content and its pathetic 'project' into touch.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 14:59:12 PM »
The facts of the matter is this referendum is being controlled by  media magnates pursuing their own agendas. Congesting the debate with a perpetual stream of half truths and downright lies. They've been doing it since we joined the EEC and I believe have helped shape opinion to where it is today.  Plenty of talk of lack of democracy in the EU but far more worrying that the likes of Murdoch can direct how the country is run.  I really hope their side of the argument doesn't win out next week. For the sake of the UK and the EU as a whole. For the sake if democracy too.
That really is quite hilarious. It's either Murdoch or Thatcher!
The majority of half truths and lies have come, shamefully, from those that hold the highest office in the land. The latest outrageous attempt by Osborne to blackmail the electorate with the threat of an emergency budget just serves to highlight the contempt he has for the people who put him where he is today. Him and Cameron would do well to remember that they are servants of the people, not masters. In that one petulant pronouncement he's buggered his chances of becoming the next Tory leader. The panic sweeping through the Remain camp is palpable and hysterical warnings will hopefully just serve to stiffen voter's resolve against these cosseted, self-serving, arrogant twonks.
If, as Cameron maintains, the dangers of leaving the EU are so great, why did he act so irresponsibly in calling the referendum in the first place? What he needs to realise is that the people will decide, and even if he gets the result that he thought unlikely, he will be called upon to enact the will of the people...or resign. Of course, he could always take the favoured solution of the EU in that event, and ignore the result and demand another vote in the hope that he will then get the result he wanted.
One thing you were correct on was the assertion that for the sake of the EU we have to remain in - if Brexit wins - the cards will fall. I've got to hand it to him, Sir Nigel Farage has done brilliantly to get us to where we are today.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 15:04:07 PM by DavidL »