Author Topic: The Company Watchdog Thread  (Read 8418 times)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
The Company Watchdog Thread
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
It seems quite a few of us are subjected to appalling customer service etc by inept companies and corporations so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread.   

My personal grievances, which will last for all time, have been (and are) with Vodafone (who I can stand up in a court of law and call fraudsters - they will never bother me again), BT (payments taken after a contract had expired - paid me compensation), Esure (utterly aloof and grossly inept - will never use again), Talktalk (scandalously charged for a period of three months when I wasn't receiving a service that was fit for purpose, denied my frequent contact about it was recorded in my account history then referred it to debt collectors - they've now ceased all contact after being threatened with the ombudsman) and - currently - Scottish Power.

Scottish Power are so grossly incompetent at handling customer accounts (and customers) that a few months ago they were threatened by Ofgem with having their right to advertise for new custom temporarily rescinded unless they demonstrated a dramatic improvement.  If my continued experience is anything to go by, Ofgem should go ahead and simply enforce it.

SP seem utterly unable to produce bills that make any semblance of sense.  Briefly, my problems began when for some inexplicable reason they waited until we'd been in our current property for a year before sending any bills - when of course four quarterly bills came at once, with a demand for full payment of them all.  Naturally, I therefore expressed my concerns to them about how my account was being handled if they couldn't send their bills punctually yet still demand payments within unreasonable time scales.  Their response to this - bizarrely - was to send a "recalculated" bill, which apparently bore no logical relation to the other bills and made no sense at all.  So I raised this with them.  They sent another "recalculated" bill which only compounded both the issue of how much I actually owed and the issue of the general handling of my account.  Submissions with my ever increasing concerns via their site prompted automated holding responses that were never followed up.  In the middle of all this I actually received a quarterly bill that arrived punctually and made sense - so I paid it.  However, in the meantime, my account was referred to a debt collector.  Furious, my patience snapped and I submitted a formal complaint - in December.  Shortly after, I received an automated holding email promising contact within 10 working days.  I duly heard nothing for almost three months.  So I rang.

Which brings us to a letter from SP that arrived this morning.  Lo and behold, all of a sudden it's not automated and it doesn't take the form of lots of bold red upper case scary words about legal action and courts and bailiffs if I don't pay "the full amount" (whatever that actually is).  It's a letter from a real person, specifically referring to my complaint, that advises I can, if I so wish, now refer my case to the ombudsman as it "has been over eight weeks since you submitted your complaint without us contacting you".  They are still trying to resolve my issue but their letter basically goes on to plead with me that in the meantime I do not go to the ombudsman!

So...once again the moral of the story is not to give in or bend over for these complete inept, feckless, amateurish tossers masquerading as credible operations.  I look forward to more obsequiousness from this bunch of clowns very soon, who should now do the decent thing and write off the last 18 months and start over.

Sorry to bang on....over to you guys.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:59:50 AM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Fishy

• TNMS Member
Re: The Company Watchdog Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
excellent thread..

well where to start..Ok let's start with Triton

Long and short of it..shower with intermittent fault.... booked an engineer who turned up un-announced and said no fault  found, they then bill me for £68, which i refused to pay saying the shower is faulty. Endless emails back and forth, again threatened with debt collection, legal proceedings etc etc... Got Citizens Advice involved and eventually sent them a video of the shower at fault. They then send the same engineer round who replaced the front cover. Also added him into my original letter of complaint as he was  the most abrupt disinterested little c*** i've ever met. So at last a working proper shower.  Next thing letter from Triton about an overdue invoice which they said they wouldn't be pursuing. So another email back to them with copies of original emails demanding they never send me a letter like this again and wanting any details about me or my property about defaulting on payments taken off their system. Also an email to their Chief Exec with 10 email attachments documenting the entire protracted episode.

To her credit I got a reply the next day saying she would look into it and the following day another email with much apologising and grovelling. Someone phoned the other day again to offer apologies and send out £100 compensation which they say they don't usually do against service complaints but due to the hassle I'd had, they saw this as an exception. So credit to Chief Exec.. if however I ever meet Ms Helen Chandler.. she will be getting her fecking c*** kicked to death.. a most obtuse, unhelpful, insincere woman  who at the end of the day had no idea about customer relations and just not very good at her job.

Previous companies in the firing line have been BT, about so many things, bills demanding paymants, faults not getting fixed etc etc and Esure looking for payments on cancelled insurance policies which they never notified me about when cancelling.
From the Land of Honest Men.

TerrBerr

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
Scottish Power are so grossly incompetent at handling customer accounts (and customers) that a few months ago they were threatened by Ofgem with having their right to advertise for new custom temporarily rescinded unless they demonstrated a dramatic improvement.  If my continued experience is anything to go by, Ofgem should go ahead and simply enforce it.

This was in the news yesterday: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/04/scottish-power-banned-sales-calls-ofgem
To me you're a Captain, but to a Captain, you're no Captain!

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »

Thats happened - for 12 days, I think.

All utility companies are atrocious, in my experience.  fecking rubbish.  Automated bills just get spat out, 'yeah-but-no' feckwits on the telephone who frankly, couldn't give a feck, noone taking ownership of issues, constant bills of varying incorrect amounts continute to be sent.  Get to feck, the lot of you.

Charities - if I want to increase my direct debits, I will do so - stop fecking ringing me at home in the evening.  And whilst you're at it, stop sending me shit through the post that goes straight into the recycling bin - those resources could be put to better use elsewhere.

Royal Mail - feck you its illegal to reuse stamps - I pull tonnes of stamps of envelopes and reuse - wotcha gonna do about it?  Also, thanks to the 'what do you want me to do about it' twat who I spoke to yesterday about accidentally posting some gig tickets through the postbox with a load of redirected mail.

Anger is a gift.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 13:38:35 PM »
This was in the news yesterday: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/04/scottish-power-banned-sales-calls-ofgem

Well quelle surprise!  ::)  Thanks, Terry.  :)

So the banning order is enforced and I get a brown-nosing letter within two days.  Fancy that....  :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 14:26:16 PM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Intense? Who? Me? ..... Thanks Geddy! :)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 16:36:25 PM »
Archos - I dabbled with some of their tablet gadgets for a while. The difference between their advertised functionality and their actual working functionality was truly astonishing. Possibly the most under tested shoddy rubbish I have ever encountered.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
Talktalk still sending me bills.  ::)

Sent an email which, in summary, calls them an appalling set of incompetent c***s (albeit in slightly more temperate terms, of course).
HYFTOUR30

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
Scottish Power are actually corresponding with me now.  However, they seem to be under the impression just because I've been given the courtesy of an assigned case handler that I've pretty much forgiven them for pissing me about for the last 18 months, and they say they will not cancel any additional "advisory" fees and have offered an offensively derisory goodwill payment of £40.  No sane person would accept that, so I haven't.

That said, they have explained why their bills don't make sense.  Now, if this explanation was clear and present on the bills...then they might make sense...   ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:58:19 AM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 13:09:59 PM »
Scottish Power are actually corresponding with me now.  However, they seem to be under the impression just because I've been given the courtesy of an assigned case handler that I've pretty much forgiven them for pissing me about for the last 18 months, and they say they will not cancel any additional "advisory" fees and have offered an offensively derisory goodwill payment of £40.  No sane person would accept that, so I haven't.

And their final offer is...the same as the previous offer but with the goodwill gesture withdrawn.  WTAF!!! :o

"Deadlock" has been reached, hence it's now in the hands of the ombudsman...  ::) 
HYFTOUR30

Fridge

• TNMS Member
  • Another day at the office....
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »
MyCSP

Took the feckwits ten months to sort out my early pension award...promised a callback on six occasions, this was honoured on two.
Lost my file conveniently and forced to wait half an hour on the phone every time i wanted to discuss anything with them....bastards.
Ach, if Dougie were here, he'd tell you himself....

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 16:59:34 PM »
ScottishPower generates massive surge in energy complaints

New energy complaint figures from Citizens Advice show ScottishPower attracted a record number of customer gripes at the end of last year.

...complaints about ScottishPower increased by an incredible 588% over the course of the year.
::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 17:03:10 PM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 14:59:24 PM »
Just had a call from the ombudsman who have reached a decision regarding Scottish Power's handling of my account.  In short, almost all of my complaints have been upheld - those that were not is only because technically they fall outside the ombudsman's remit.

Scottish Power will now be instructed by the ombudsman to:

1) write a letter of apology;
2) offer £150.00 compensation;
3) recalculate all charges in 2015 applying rates before they hiked the prices;
4) offer a monthly payment package for the amounts accumulated during the complaints procedure (which has lasted well over a year) that suits my requirements rather than theirs.

A small victory in the scheme of things but there was a principle at stake here (i.e. I refuse to be shafted by piss-taking utility companies) and I have taken it to an independent body and have been thoroughly vindicated.

Power to the people!   :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 15:02:05 PM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »
Sky Broadband Fibre

Ongoing issue with them.. no fault found according to them,, Bt engineer could find no fault but the speed isn't what's advertised.. Sky then saying they could send out a new router which will eliminate the BT openreach box but a cost involved.. told them to feck of and think again.. awaiting call back...

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 15:36:53 PM »
Sky claiiming they need to raise a charge in order to send out a new router.. would discount something else to cover the cost but then what if it doesn't work then i have to send back then go thru all the cost stuff again.. forget it... you're not fulfulling your end of the deal with nowhere near advertised speed.. so cheerio..hello BT..booked in for mid July and actually working out £7 cheaper a month for broadband/line rental etc...

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 22:41:41 PM »
Sky claiiming they need to raise a charge in order to send out a new router.. would discount something else to cover the cost but then what if it doesn't work then i have to send back then go thru all the cost stuff again.. forget it... you're not fulfulling your end of the deal with nowhere near advertised speed.. so cheerio..hello BT..booked in for mid July and actually working out £7 cheaper a month for broadband/line rental etc...

Is BT still "Limited" to 40Gig ? we get through waaaaay more than that.... :-\
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%